Looking for a special place to shoot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a range in the Edmond/OKC area that will allow me shoot my model cannons.

1617894955270-png.251827

This first gun is model of a 1861 Siege howitzer in golf ball bore. It is black powder, muzzle loading and shoots golf ball size round ball cast in zinc

FieldCarriageNapiDD79-515x414.jpg

The Second gun is a Napoleon. It is one inch bore black powder muzzle loading and shoots lead round ball.

I would provide my my own targets-target frames.

Any one know of a range that would let me shoot my guns?

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-8_10-14-8.png
    upload_2021-4-8_10-14-8.png
    433.4 KB · Views: 79

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the response from the President of OKC Gun club

"Had a Board meeting Tues and the Board decided it's a hard no on the mortars/cannons."

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the mortars are understandable. I don't quite understand how they square the cannons when they have video on one of their pages, but oh well...

Good luck with the search.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A golf ball mortar that lobs a golf ball 30 yards or popcan mortar that lobs a can 50 yards? Not understandable.

These a small guns not field artillery. Model guns

I would be interested in talking to an open minded range owner who would look at what I have, talk to me and learn, and not make a blanket refusal based on solely on term cannon or mortar.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A golf ball mortar that lobs a golf ball 30 yards or popcan mortar that lobs a can 50 yards? Not understandable.

These a small guns not field artillery. Model guns

I would be interested in talking to an open minded range owner who would look at what I have, talk to me and learn, and not make a blanket refusal based on solely on term cannon or mortar.
I'm not involved in their inner workings, just a lowly member and threw out a suggestion which you evidently had already pursued. Some of us aren't really up to speed on the terminology and the differences (between model and replica perhaps?) can get lost evidently. Perhaps this is what happened in their meeting? Did you explain the capabilities to them? I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't let you fire them if you did, but like I said, I'm not privy to all the various issues they have to deal with either.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not involved in their inner workings, just a lowly member and threw out a suggestion which you evidently had already pursued. Some of us aren't really up to speed on the terminology and the differences (between model and replica perhaps?) can get lost evidently. Perhaps this is what happened in their meeting? Did you explain the capabilities to them? I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't let you fire them if you did, but like I said, I'm not privy to all the various issues they have to deal with either.

You are exactly right. They relied on mental image and came to the same conclusion. Understandable. I am disappointed they asked no questions. I wish they had, they might have come to a different conclusion.

I sent the two gentlemen running the blackpowder program an email asking for permission and explaining what i had and what I wanted to do.

They said they didn't know and would have pass it up to the board. I fully understood that. I offered to come before any one with questions and explain what I had, tell what I wanted to do and even provide my guns for inspection so they could see what I had. (This offer is open to any range operator who would consider).

The day after my inquiry apparently the board met and without question they said, "No". If I knew the board was going to meet and discuss the subject-if the meeting was open I would have been there and with several cannons. I would answered there questions.

Until this morning I was unaware of that cannon on their Facebook page. The cannons that I wanted to shoot are that size and smaller. I do have larger sannons, but do not consider them proper for the OKCCC range.

You are right we don't know why they made their decision but they did for the good of the club. I accept that.

I still want to shot my cannons so that is why I came here, hoping some one might know of a range who would let me shoot or at least discuss the possibility of shooting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom