Looking For Antique Gun Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the correct section.

Does anyone know of a location that specializes in the restoration of antique guns? WWII era weapons that were inherited and while not in terrible condition, are worth being professionally restored.

I searched the forum and only found a handful of threads about products and steps for self-restoration.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Most of those guns, unless they are bare metal and gouged up wood, have more value as is vs "restoring". Unless you are spending the $$$$+ for a museum quality exhibit piece, it's not worth the effort to remove the value of "original" from a gun.
But hey, everyone will find a way

If you must, Turnbull Restoration (well known in this space) might and a few others. Google and DDG work well.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/restoration-services/
I've read up that these guys do well.
https://www.classicfirearmsrestorations.com/
https://lohmangunsmith.com/restoration/
DIY restos?? Surefire way to destroy a firearm's value no matter what Youtube and others say. Bubba has destroyed many a fine firearm "restoring" it. There are plenty on this forum that would disagree but they have probably "restored" plenty of guns.

Last edited:

Stewie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of those guns, unless they are bare metal and gouged up wood, have more value as is vs "restoring". Unless you are spending the $$$$+ for a museum quality exhibit piece, it's not worth the effort to remove the value of "original" from a gun.

Appreciate that info. I am in no way well informed when it comes to antique weapons, their condition, and/or monetary value. I was mostly referring to personal "sentimental" worth. My interests are strictly preservation based.

Sounds like I need to due some due diligence to determine if they should remain untouched. Perhaps contacting each of the vendors you provided and supplying them with detailed photos would allow them to advise regarding that.

Thanks very much for the info. Very welcome.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate that info. I am in no way well informed when it comes to antique weapons, their condition, and/or monetary value. I was mostly referring to personal "sentimental" worth. My interests are strictly preservation based.

Sounds like I need to due some due diligence to determine if they should remain untouched. Perhaps contacting each of the vendors you provided and supplying them with detailed photos would allow them to advise regarding that.

Thanks very much for the info. Very welcome.
You should find an appraiser or two as well. Someone certified NRA or something.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d start by taking good clear pictures in natural light, both up close and of the entire gun(s) and let us take a look. I’m sure we could give you a good idea of what you have and where you stand.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom