Looking for better option for .223 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@okieshooter777 I hear what you're saying about your daughter wanting to use HER gun and looks like the guys have thrown some ammo options at ya that might make deer deader and her happy. I'm gonna throw something out on the flip side though, I'd be sure my daughter understands what could possibly happen using that caliber. I know a 223 is very capable but I also believe it's gotta have the right bullet and shot placement. I'm sure you already had the conversation with her but I just wanted to point out how the caliber swap reasoning might be brought up to her. I wouldn't want to hear a story about her losing a deer or especially a really good one. Heck, I'd tell her she could have one of the bigger guns if it's about the gun bein hers.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am odd man out I use 55gr V-Max.
I do not need a blood trail I need dead where they stand.
That is what I get with that bullet. Hogs, Deer and coyote.

Some deer do not leave a blood trail.
Buddy called me and said his dad shot at a deer with his 30-06 and they could not find it or the blood trail.
He assumed his dad missed..I loaded the ammo for his gun and his dad can shoot.
I said he did not miss.
He said we did not find any blood or hair and we walked 40 yards around the area all directions.

I said walk 100 yards or more and you will find it.
He called back and said they found the deer . Said the shoulder was blown apart and the heart was not in the deer.
It exploded the heart. he told me no blood around the deer until they turned it on it's side then it leaked out.
80 yards away from where they shot it.
Hornady #3031 bullet flat base spitzer 150 gr Some deer just like to run.
Take out the nervous system and spine if you do not want them to run.

I agree with the v-max approach. There usually is no exit wound and therefore little if any blood, but when those rounds make entry at a 223 velocity, the vitals are just pulverized. Deer cannot run far if their lungs and heart are not in working order.

That said, my daughters both started with Winchester Ranger 64 gr power points in their AR’s, and we never lost a deer until my youngest moved up to a 300 BLK and hit a big 10 pt square in the shoulder at 200 yds. Found little blood and 3 weeks later, the buck showed up on camera. Come rifle season, the neighbor got him with her 125 gr Sierra still in the shoulder.

Perhaps your daughter is simply comfortable and confident in her abilities with her gun. Remember the old adage... Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She has killed 8-9 deer or so with it using the Winchester power points. Never lost a deer. But i prefer a deer to not run, or to only make a few steps. But also most of the deer she shot has been under 50 yards, with maybe 2 at 100-150 yards.

178 yard shot on this one with the 64 gr pwr pts. He ran about 50 yards and we watched him roll.
9A5DE593-8300-43B2-94A8-0559608BACA2.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
60gr Nosler partions that I've reloaded for folks in .222, .223, .22-250 and .220 Swift are 100% so far, so over a dozen. As far as not wanting to blood trail, that's shot placement, not caliber or bullet design. I've shot doe with 405gr 45/70, 400gr partition .416 Rigby and 500gr .458 Lott behind the front should and all three ran 50y-75y. Every deer I've ever shot with a .222 with 60gr. partitions were in the front shoulders and all dropped instantly, never took a step.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter has killed many deer over the last few years using a ar15 .223, and we usually use Winchester power point 64 grain.
They work and kill if put in the vitals.

However, after the last deer she killed, and no blood trail. i am looking for a better option in ammo. Switching caliber is not the answer, she wants to continue using her gun.
What is the best option for ammo for better penetration, better expansion and more knock down power. WE have had deer run every time after the shot, and the shortest was maybe a 30 yard track, with one or two being 100 yard tracks, with no blood or very little. We have never lost a deer yet, but i know there is better options for ammo.
Is solid copper the way to go? or what do YOU recommend?
Sounds like a combo that is working very well enough. I bet not many on here can say they haven't lost a deer in the first 8-9 shot. Probably 100% of the time a deer lost to a 223 64 gr Winchester bullet at typical hunting ranges will be the longer or more difficult the shot is the more likely of not hitting and penetrating the vitals how you thought. Trust the 223 64 Win PP bullet is an excellent choice and continue hitting the vitals and recovering your deer. Sounds like great shooting to me.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
60gr Nosler partions that I've reloaded for folks in .222, .223, .22-250 and .220 Swift are 100% so far, so over a dozen. As far as not wanting to blood trail, that's shot placement, not caliber or bullet design. I've shot doe with 405gr 45/70, 400gr partition .416 Rigby and 500gr .458 Lott behind the front should and all three ran 50y-75y. Every deer I've ever shot with a .222 with 60gr. partitions were in the front shoulders and all dropped instantly, never took a step.
I take it you knew what would happen if you shredded the shoulder through a light skinned big game animal to the vitals with those big bullets. (lots of wasted meat)

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where I encourage every young person to aim, and where I aim every time now if possible.
View attachment 145312

Most deer i have shot with Gun have dropped and that is where i choose to shoot as well. She has been shown ( i think the online hunter safety course) and (noble research inst biologist) to shoot just behind the shoulder in the crease double lung shot, which is where i would shoot with a bow. My wife is the same way, they like to shoot behind the shoulder. Its hard to argue, because this produces a dead deer with no wasted meat. The front shoulders dont produce much meat, so i could care less LOL i want them to drop like a sack of potatoes.

okie4570, she shot a deer Saturday @ 15 yards, it was perfect broadside, and she had one hole to shoot thru and it was about 2" right of the picture she shot, i told her she can make the shot, the buck ran 100 yards. I thought she missed, and she said no way. I didnt find hair, or blood and actually decided she missed. walked one more time looking and found it @ 100 yards with absolutely no blood, no pass thru and no blood where the deer laid. insides were mush when i cleaned him, shoulder was destroyed. once i got deer home and rolled in over, deer oozed out. was a bloody mess on the inside!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom