Looking for better option for .223 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most deer i have shot with Gun have dropped and that is where i choose to shoot as well. She has been shown ( i think the online hunter safety course) and (noble research inst biologist) to shoot just behind the shoulder in the crease double lung shot, which is where i would shoot with a bow. My wife is the same way, they like to shoot behind the shoulder. Its hard to argue, because this produces a dead deer with no wasted meat. The front shoulders dont produce much meat, so i could care less LOL i want them to drop like a sack of potatoes.

okie4570, she shot a deer Saturday @ 15 yards, it was perfect broadside, and she had one hole to shoot thru and it was about 2" right of the picture she shot, i told her she can make the shot, the buck ran 100 yards. I thought she missed, and she said no way. I didnt find hair, or blood and actually decided she missed. walked one more time looking and found it @ 100 yards with absolutely no blood, no pass thru and no blood where the deer laid. insides were mush when i cleaned him, shoulder was destroyed. once i got deer home and rolled in over, deer oozed out. was a bloody mess on the inside!!

Yeah that bullet definitely needs to hold together to either pass thru the animal completely or at least make it thru both shoulders and stop between skin and shoulder on the far side. They can run a long way on three legs before they expire. The goal is to definitely destroy both shoulders.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I use to explain optimal shot placement with least amount of meat loss.

Align your vertical crosshair with the back of the front leg.

Divide the body into thirds and align your horizontal crosshair on the lower third.

For new hunters and kids, I suggest the same vertical alignment but instruct them to just split the body in half with the horizontal crosshair.

67A20555-5752-46A0-8010-590FC73EF0FA.jpeg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I use to explain optimal shot placement with least amount of meat loss.

Align your vertical crosshair with the back of the front leg.

Divide the body into thirds and align your horizontal crosshair on the lower third.

For new hunters and kids, I suggest the same vertical alignment but instruct them to just split the body in half with the horizontal crosshair.

View attachment 145323
Pretty much dead on. Either a 221 Fireball or a 460 Weatherby does the same thing!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, on the subject of blood trails... this was in heavy woods at about 50 yards, i hit just a little high and just a little to the left of where i wanted but it was the only shot i had. 45/70 trimmed down a touch with a 350gr speer flat point with a heavy dose of h4198. Bullet entered the chestal area just inside of the right shoulder and stopped inside the hide just behind the last rib on his left. He went 150yards and zero blood til he hit the ground.
f3c7930cec83cbf3b3c3e0f5c0802b84.jpg

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

250gr. 45 cal xtp at 2350fps out of my ML. Stopped between hide and meat on the far side. Wonder how far out the skin stretches when that happens?

20191024_130318.jpg

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
250gr. 45 cal xtp at 2350fps out of my ML. Stopped between hide and meat on the far side. Wonder how far out the skin stretches when that happens?

View attachment 145324
Idk, i dropped one at like 4 feet right outside my blind with my old army, all the way through to the skin on the other side and that skin was very loose. Theres a video on one of my old phones of me cutting the roundball out.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did think about that round, that is what i shoot out of the grendel
My brother also uses Hornady Black in his Grendel and 300BO.

For the record, when my boys first started hunting (20+ years ago), I had them shooting the 64gr Winchester Power Points, and we never had a single deer go over about 15 or 20 yards.:anyone:

I’ll add that in my opinion your 6.5 Grendel would be the way to go caliber wise. I’ve never owned a Grendel but killed a ton of deer and pigs with a 6.5x55 and love all thing 6.5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom