Looking for better option for .223 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Throw those shoulders whole in the smoker for a while. All those sinews and connective tissues just fall away, and you've actually got a lot of fork tender meat. (or at least plenty tender enough for people with reasonably good teeth.)
We do this at deer camp for midnight vittles. Plan it out to be ready around 11pm when dinner is wearing off and you’ve had enough beer for the evening. Go to sleep with a full belly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
250gr. 45 cal xtp at 2350fps out of my ML. Stopped between hide and meat on the far side. Wonder how far out the skin stretches when that happens?

I can't speak for your round, but I was an eyewitness to a buck running dead away from me while on a pheasant hunt that runs concurrent with deer gun season. He ran right toward my buddy that was a stander at the end of the field. Saw him fiddling around with his shotgun and shoot the buck at about 10 yards as it ran by him.
The 12 ga slug he put in hit high right in front of the hindquarters. Saw the skin stretch an amazing amount away before the slug broke through. It spun the buck 1/4 turn, took a few more steps and fell. I was 60 or so yards away but it looked like that skin stretched 6" or better before the slug exited.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw three different versions of the Hornady Black I believe the other day.

Which version are you all using?

I just found out that I may have a spot to hunt this year and want to use an AR-15.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot the Hornady Black .223in 62gr vs some other bulk stuff. From my notes it was by far the best at 1.8in group for 5 shots in a vertical string. Next was Federal AE in 5.56 62gr at 2.8in the other stuff was all over 4 inches at 100yd it was Federal 223 and WWB among others. The Hornady is a few dollars more expensive but much better accuracy in my trials.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I will pick up a box of the 75gr Hornady Black to see how my rifles like it just in case I get to deer hunt this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom