looking for CARP waters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for areas around Tulsa, that have a sizable population of carp...

I have contacted Game and Fish, and they were of no help...

Pond, creek, lake or small river, any of you guy's know where I could catch a few carp? Most likely, I won't be after them till the weather warms up...

More than myself, I really want my Fiancé to be able to hook into a nice size carp, and I'll make the same offer I have for the past three years. Tell me a good place to catch a carp, and if we catch one, I'll give you a "Ben Franklin"...

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll give up my honey hole for carp as I haven't fished there in 15+ years. My dad grew up fishing it and took me there several times and it always produced as many as you wanted. Caney River below the Cherokee bridge just east of Johnstone Park in Bartlesville. Park under the bridge and fish the pool below the spillway. Wheaties and strawberry pop

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll give up my honey hole for carp as I haven't fished there in 15+ years. My dad grew up fishing it and took me there several times and it always produced as many as you wanted. Caney River below the Cherokee bridge just east of Johnstone Park in Bartlesville. Park under the bridge and fish the pool below the spillway. Wheaties and strawberry pop

I can vouch for this, the entire Caney is full of them, from below Copan down to the bridge NW of Oglesby on RD 2650. Below the spillway Jared spoke of is hard to beat. We'd catch a few during the late summer to freeze and keep for trap bait in the fall when we were kids.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on carp fishing locally this year. Love the fight. I've heard a lot about wheeties and strawberry coke or kool-aid. My question is: how do you mix it and rig it to stay on a hook? Anyone care to explain the rig?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad you don't live closer. Our golf course lake is full of Carp. They come into the shallow waters and will scare the living crap out of you if you're wading looking for golf balls.
Why carp?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on carp fishing locally this year. Love the fight. I've heard a lot about wheeties and strawberry coke or kool-aid. My question is: how do you mix it and rig it to stay on a hook? Anyone care to explain the rig?

My grandfather used wheaty's and vanilla. Makes a doughball that's sticky and really stays on the hook.
He would buy the big treble hooks with springs on the shanks to hold the bait and use a slip sinker to let the carp run with it before setting the hook.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather used wheaty's and vanilla. Makes a doughball that's sticky and really stays on the hook.
He would buy the big treble hooks with springs on the shanks to hold the bait and use a slip sinker to let the carp run with it before setting the hook.
Thanks, Dennis. That's the rig I was imagining.

Latest posts

Top Bottom