looking for CARP waters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a storm sewer that empties into the river at around 46th and Riverside. I grew up in the area. We used to pull lots of carp out of that pool. I don't think I would eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give up my honey hole for carp as I haven't fished there in 15+ years. My dad grew up fishing it and took me there several times and it always produced as many as you wanted. Caney River below the Cherokee bridge just east of Johnstone Park in Bartlesville. Park under the bridge and fish the pool below the spillway. Wheaties and strawberry pop

Jared,

you told me about that place 4 or 5 years ago, and I fished it for almost 30 hours in 3 days worth of fishing, and I never caught or saw a single fish! I believe it was August when I fished there, and even as hot and dry as it was, water was still running over the spillway. One rod and Wheaties and vanilla and the other rod had Wheaties and strawberry pop...

I have a couple of other baits that I am going to try this year, so we'll see what happens...

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jared,

you told me about that place 4 or 5 years ago, and I fished it for almost 30 hours in 3 days worth of fishing, and I never caught or saw a single fish! I believe it was August when I fished there, and even as hot and dry as it was, water was still running over the spillway. One rod and Wheaties and vanilla and the other rod had Wheaties and strawberry pop...

I have a couple of other baits that I am going to try this year, so we'll see what happens...

I'm surprised to hear of your poor experience. The last time I fished it was the first week of May 2005. The water was crystal clear and you could see the carp as the pool was pretty shallow. I caught carp until I was tired of catching them. I used to also fish a spot downstream of there a ways. The spot was near where the Honda Shop was located (the shop is no longer in that location). There was a clean water discharge there and the water was cold and clear. In the summer that cold water had the carp sucked into a very small area. I would usually see a dozen around that spot in the clear spot.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it was just too hot when I was there last time. I will definitely make it a point to be there before the weather gets too hot this year. That cold clear water you mentioned, sounds like a perfect place to catch one on a fly, and I have several different flies tied up, specifically for carp. I will be sure to do a "carp fishing report" after my next outing...

Thank you for the tips...

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed that after about June, unless you're out overnight or first thing in the morning, carp move deep for the most part. They will remain shallow in shades areas though, from my experience

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't been up since November, but the Salt Fork is usually pretty well stocked with carp.

Where is Salt Fork located at?

My Grandpa and I use to fish down below Grand River Dam and always caught more carp than what we could carry out. Never caught one that weighed less than 7 pounds, and they sure were a lot of fun. Now, years later, some idiots decided it was a good idea to turn the place into a golf course, so now, my favorite carp fishing spot is gone... :(

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for the fight mostly...

And I guess sentimental too, because that was when my grandpa and I had the most fun - when we were fishing...

Pound for pound, I have never caught a fish that could pull as hard as what a carp could. They are just fun to catch, and I miss having a good place to go and fish for them...

Latest posts

Top Bottom