Looking for Chronograph recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I read a lot more than I post, but I need some advice. I've started reloading .308, and I have no idea how fast my bullets are leaving the barrel, which makes it hard to come up with a drop table. I'm looking for a basic chronograph that won't break the bank. Any recommendations?

My current plan is the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph, unless anyone has a better suggestion!
Amazon.com : Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph : Sports & Outdoors

Thanks!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forget it. Well Maybe.
Most calculations do not allow for higher BC the faster the bullet is..or slower the bullet is the less BC it will have.
I have a chrony but it was not as accurate to dial in the dope as shooting the gun at the target was.

Here is what I did to get my dope for the scope.
I got a 5 foot tall 2 feet wide piece of cardboard at 8" below the top I made cross from electric tape.

I moved back 100 yards shot at the center using the tape to keep my scope level and square.
I then moved to 200 then 300 then 400 and finally 500 yards all the time aiming at the same point not adjusting the scope.

I then go back to the target and measure the distance my bullet had dropped at each different range.
I now have the exact dope..I shot 3 shots at each distance.

You can do it without adjusting the scope too if you have mil dots or other reference points on the reticle.
Yes it is sometimes nice to know the speed.

I have an F1 and it works great when the sun is up.

You know how i found my yardages..
I have 600 yards of braided 60lb test fishing line on a penn level wind fishing reel at each 100 yards there is a loop in the line.

I measured 100 yards off with a 25 foot tape measure and stuck welding rod in the ground at 0and 100 and began my walking and reeling

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
magnetospeed that my friend had will not work on a 30-30 model 94 as there is a magazine tube under the barrel.
You guys that have them what do you do for that..or how about bow and arrow speed..Have you used it on a pellet gun or bb gun.

My f1 has been used for all of those with great results.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be used on rifles and shotguns that have a magazine under the barrel! The chronograph can be attached 90 degrees to barrel. The angle of attachment doesn't matter.
Never used it on a bb gun but i don't see why it wouldn't work on one. The sensitivity of the chronograph can be adjusted to pick up light/small projectiles.
As far as bows, I've never tried that either. Granted, I could see potential problems with measuring arrow speed. 1 point for traditional chronograph.
Being able to test multiple guns without changing chronograph is another point for traditional chronos.
Being able to test velocity at distances other than at muzzle is a plus for trad chrono.

Not having to go downrange to mess with chronograph is a point for magnetospeed.
Not having to depend on optimal weather conditions is another point.
Both of the previous features make the magneto perfect for indoor range use, where you often cant go down range and the lighting may not be conducive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom