Looking for Chronograph recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing the magneto speed would do better I would hope is not be fouled up on readings from muzzle blast..You place the traditional chrony too close you can get odd readings.
Like 3600fps from start loads in .308 with 165gr bullets..That will leave you scratching your head.
Especially if you shot 3 rounds at that speed and all were within 200 fps of each other.
Yea 8 feet is too close.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I cant say i've ever had trouble with that, or heard reports about that.
Ive only been using mine for about a year now, so I'm not saying it couldn't happen.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got that ProChrono Pal that Rod Snell recommended. I love it. It has no features--it's just on and off, and kicks out the velocity of each shot. It's super easy to set up, isn't finicky, and I don't mind calculating my own statistics. The screen is plenty big enough to see from the bench if you set it 10' out, which for me has been far enough to avoid muzzle blast difficulties.

My last two were Shooting Chrony Alpha Masters, and I had trouble with them every little bit. They were harder to set up and operate.

I liked the looks of the magnetospeed, but I like to chronograph velocities out of semi-auto pistols...

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I read a lot more than I post, but I need some advice. I've started reloading .308, and I have no idea how fast my bullets are leaving the barrel, which makes it hard to come up with a drop table. I'm looking for a basic chronograph that won't break the bank. Any recommendations?

My current plan is the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph, unless anyone has a better suggestion!
Amazon.com : Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph : Sports & Outdoors

Thanks!

I have that same chrono, no problems with it. It is kinda finicky, you have to plug the chrono in first then the android phone to use in tandem but has worked without any problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom