Looking for hunting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure this is a valid topic for this section so delete if needed mods.

My family and I are looking for a place to hunt White Tail during Black Powder and Rifle at least. We are willing to pay but we are not made of money. We may be able to work a deal where labor for hunting may be an option. There are 3 adults and 2 children but only the adults are hunting or one of the kids is hunting with an adult. There will only be 3 hunters at one time is the point.
The hard part on this is that we would like to be able to camp and we don't have a trailer with bathroom and we would like to have a fire.

I have looked online and it appears hunting leases have become a big business as even small properties are to rich for our pocket books, so I understand what I'm looking for is unlikely but if you don't ask you will never know.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It has become a very competitive business. There are some listing on Craigslist, FB market place and some FB groups. I honestly don’t know where I’d start if I lost mine.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what part of Oklahoma you in? or looking at for hunting? Swampratt probably has your best suggestion at least for this year. Find a couple of WMAs close by and then see if have camping options. May be primitive or find a place to hunt within driving distance of home(1-2 hrs)?

Another possible option would be to get a family member or hunting buddies to split a property. That's what I did with 320 acres in Okfuskee county.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
what part of Oklahoma you in? or looking at for hunting? Swampratt probably has your best suggestion at least for this year. Find a couple of WMAs close by and then see if have camping options. May be primitive or find a place to hunt within driving distance of home(1-2 hrs)?

Another possible option would be to get a family member or hunting buddies to split a property. That's what I did with 320 acres in Okfuskee county.
We are in NE Oklahoma but willing to drive if we can just camp in the area.
I'm looking into WMA land also but I haven't hunted on public land in some time and we quit due to idiots with guns so I still worry about that. (Uncle had the tree trunk of the tree he was sitting in shot one year. He was around a clearing.)
I have been looking at property also but right now prices are a *****.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We timed it good when buying almost 3 years ago just barely ahead of the Asian invasion in our area.

I'll keep an eye/ear open but, like you're finding out, a place like that is few and far between. Have you checked into any sportsman's clubs? About the only other suggestion might be finding a camping area or campground in the area you might want to hunt then go knock on doors. You can find a ton of owner information via tools like OnXmaps. Best of luck!

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money a lease is probably not going to be available. There is quite a bit of public land open for firearm hunting around the Tulsa area. Dealing with armed idiots will unfortunately be an issue. I think there is good hunting available on public if you are willing to put in the time for scouting and are willing to bust back into the thick stuff. It’s a sa reality that hunting is mostly a sport for the wealthy these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom