Looking for hunting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing the good things that get ruined with a wedding!!

Or a divorce!

Seriously, in the current climate, public land is by far your best bet. And, if you are willing and able to walk a considerable distance, you can often get away from a lot of the 'crazies' because most people want to only walk a short distance and set up to hunt. It gets you away from a lot of the competition and usually increases your game sightings as well! Good luck regardless!

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To find the best deal will take hard work and time. Find a place to fish that would also be a great place to hunt. Contact the owner if you can fish on the property, be sure to include in the conversation taking your fishing kids, etc. After getting fishing access, go fishing, catch a few (or not), share with the owner part of your catch. Be sure to close gates, etc. Do this a few times, then ask about hunting/camping on the place.

Even if he says no to hunting, keep fishing there. You're now a known commodity and he might have neighbors looking for someone new to lease their hunting land.

We did this as kids, would fish, then get permission to hunt birds. Sharing a few birds makes a good impression. If they are cleaned, even the wife will like you!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not an easy find. I too purchased 80 acres in Okfuskee county about 8 years ago. I was looking for a ‘bug out’ property. I purchased really crappy land as far as not suitable for much of anything but hunting. I was not a deer hunter then but am now. So my son, son-in-law, grandkids have good access to hunting property. I’m 70 and harvested my first white tail last fall. With a crossbow no less. Built an off grid cabin on it. One of the best moves I ever made for my family. HOWEVER, my insurance agent warned me to not let anyone other than family hunt it for liability reasons. Not only for gun incidents but poisonous snakes ( which are common) as well.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the public hunting through the core of engineers up by Kaw, OK. They have a bunch of primitive campsites around the lake that hunters use. Then you just drive out to your hunting spot. If you are willing to walk further than the other guys you'll find plenty of spots to be left alone. Most public land hunters stop after the first 100 yards from the road.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good public opportunities in OK. Private land access isn't easy to find, and most guys guard their secret public land spots and good landowners pretty clsoe. Unfortunately sometimes buying some cheap guided hunts can be more economical than paying for a lease if you really want a private land deal.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are willing to walk further than the other guys you'll find plenty of spots to be left alone. Most public land hunters stop after the first 100 yards from the road.
This advice is key, my buddy and I still duck hunt public land exclusively and do really well but the spots we hunt/set up are a good 1/2-3/4 mile wade in wade out kinda places that no one wants to work for.

tlindamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://recreation.weyerhaeuser.com/Leases/Search
These leases are all over TX, OK, LA and MS. I am on one down in SE OK North of Wright City. 1024 Ac and only 10 families on the lease. Prices are very reasonable and you can join an existing club that is seeking members. I rarely ever see another hunter during the Deer season. Deer, hogs, and Black bears are plentiful so be aware. Broken Bow is only 17 miles east of us, so if we want to stay in a hotel, its not too far.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This advice is key, my buddy and I still duck hunt public land exclusively and do really well but the spots we hunt/set up are a good 1/2-3/4 mile wade in wade out kinda places that no one wants to work for.
Amen brother my first bow kill i was approximately 1 1/2 mile out was so excited probably 15 minute drag of course i was 35 years younger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom