Looking for input on Acura MDX suv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with your exact model, but I do wanna mention something to look out for. My last Honda (2015 accord w/60k miles) and my moms current Honda (2013 CRV) have/had horrendous oil consumption issues. Granted, both aforementioned vehicles have CVT transmissions, which will likely play into this issue. But, my point is to look into the engine. With Honda’s drive towards efficiency they have tightened up their tolerances on the engines so much that the slightest amount of nastiness in the oil causes the engine to consume it, something about extremely tight cylinder tolerances. Just something to look in to. From what I have seen and read the MDX is a really nice vehicle though.

EDIT: OIL, NOT FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Not much help but my neighbor across the street has owned several and loves them. His last one had a transmission problem when first purchase but apparently it was a software issue quickly fixed by the dealer. His wife gets a new one every couple of years and he gets her used one. It may be about time for them to sell his and get Her a new one. I think his is a 2018 and he is a fanatic about keeping it clean and serviced.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with your exact model, but I do wanna mention something to look out for. My last Honda (2015 accord w/60k miles) and my moms current Honda (2013 CRV) have/had horrendous fuel consumption issues. Granted, both aforementioned vehicles have CVT transmissions, which will likely play into this issue. But, my point is to look into the engine. With Honda’s drive towards efficiency they have tightened up their tolerances on the engines so much that the slightest amount of nastiness in the oil causes the engine to consume it, something about extremely tight cylinder tolerances. Just something to look in to. From what I have seen and read the MDX is a really nice vehicle though.

This is where a quality true synthetic oil like Amsoil really stands out from the crowd. Honda and Ford are late to the party on synthetics instead using blends in their factory labels. I will give Ford some credit though, their gear oils are synthetic and pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is where a quality true synthetic oil like Amsoil really stands out from the crowd. Honda and Ford are late to the party on synthetics instead using blends in their factory labels. I will give Ford some credit though, their gear oils are synthetic and pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, but I did change my oil with full synthetic mobil 1 with the best mobil 1 filter every 3-4k miles. Didnt seem to make a difference. My mom gets hers changed every 5k or so with whatevers is cheap/suggested for her car.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When i was looking for a larger vehicle for the wife I had in mind NOTHING with a CVT transmission.
Those are not robust enough to go the 300,000 hard miles I need to put on a vehicle.
I have seen many friends that baby their cars with a CVT trans and all have died with 135,000 or less miles.

NO GOOD.
A TH350 will go 300,000 miles easy behind these weak power plants.
NO reason with today's technology to have a transmission failure with little miles on them.

I got the wife a Pontiac Vibe.
Toyota Matrix same platform as the Vibe and I needed 30 MPG minimum.
And NO V6.
Inline 6 is fine though.

If you do not plan on driving it more than 100,000 miles i would think most anything would last that long.
I have seen failed cams in 5.7 Hemi engines at 65,000 though.
I tend to drive things until the doors fall off then get some replacement doors
or get the welder fired up.

I never trade up to a newer vehicle unless the old one is broken and not fixable
for less than i can get another vehicle for.
I just need to get from point A to point B and back.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When i was looking for a larger vehicle for the wife I had in mind NOTHING with a CVT transmission.
Those are not robust enough to go the 300,000 hard miles I need to put on a vehicle.
I have seen many friends that baby their cars with a CVT trans and all have died with 135,000 or less miles.

NO GOOD.
A TH350 will go 300,000 miles easy behind these weak power plants.
NO reason with today's technology to have a transmission failure with little miles on them.

I got the wife a Pontiac Vibe.
Toyota Matrix same platform as the Vibe and I needed 30 MPG minimum.
And NO V6.
Inline 6 is fine though.

If you do not plan on driving it more than 100,000 miles i would think most anything would last that long.
I have seen failed cams in 5.7 Hemi engines at 65,000 though.
I tend to drive things until the doors fall off then get some replacement doors
or get the welder fired up.

I never trade up to a newer vehicle unless the old one is broken and not fixable
for less than i can get another vehicle for.
I just need to get from point A to point B and back.
Is that Vibe engine noisy? I bought one for my now ex, and that thing rattled like a diesel.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had an MDX although they seem to be pretty popular, and I spent a bit of time driving one when our TLX was in and out of the shop.

My only feedback was my experience with Acura, and my dissatisfaction with the brand.

We bought a new '16 TLX, top of the line, basically a fancy Acord, there were a lot of things I liked about the car.

The overall quality was not what I expected from a Honda product, in the 3 years we had it, we had it in the shop far too many times, thus all of the time I, or my wife were driving an MDX.

Latest posts

Top Bottom