Looking for optics advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have posted this in the wrong forum... if so, please move for me. And I will apologize in advance for this being too long... and thanks in advance for suggestions.

I'm shopping for a scope for the Savage A17 I bought yesterday. I'd like to stay between about $100 to $150, but would splurge up to maybe $200 or a little over for an especially good deal. Understand, I tend to suffer from "paralysis by analysis", it's not so much the money as it is feeling like I got the best value for the money.

I'm pretty much a paper puncher, and would tend to shoot this at 50 - 100 yards. The one exception to this use is there's a groundhog haunting my barn, and if the .17 hmr is a little quieter than a .22, I might be tempted if I got a good shot at it in a safe direction. Probably wouldn't exceed 50-60 yards if I did.

The scopes I have that I like most are Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold. I don't care for the cheap brands like Simmons, BSA, Bushnell (although they may have some good upper end stuff?), etc. I'm open to suggestions for other brands that I might not be familiar with, if it's a good deal and you can vouch for the quality. Kind of like the idea of not being a rimfire scope so I can use it on any rifle if I want, but not opposed to rimfire models as I'll always have a rimfire or two I could move it to if I don't keep or shoot this one much.

Doesn't someone have a spectacular deal on a labor day sale this weekend?

Here are a few that I think would work, or maybe I've overlooked something in the classifieds?

Lean toward this Nikon, looks like good deal on price. Also available at Atwoods for $10 more. My understanding is the Prostaff is a little higher in the product line than the Buckmasters, but there is some overlap between the lines?
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-PROSTA...=B00SMX95IA&psc=1&refRID=SA2W082SDEQYK5XYFF94

Looks like a good deal, on sale from $229 down to $139 from Cabelas (I do realize some of these "markdowns" aren't really marked down as much as they make it look...)
https://www.cabelas.com/product/bar...kon-prostaff-riflescope/1213653.uts?slotId=10

Similar scope, but 4x12 x 40mm (I think 4x12 is probably a little too high power)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=J78RSBG2CBJPKPXN6K6X

Vortex Diamondback, is this worth a little extra?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vortex-Diamondback-4-12x40-Rifle-Scope-DBK-04-BDC/23821768

This one? How does Copperhead compare to the other Vortex lines?
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...2RS854D&qid=1567259262&s=gateway&sr=8-12&th=1

Advantage is could be used on any rifle, but is there a quality sacrifice compared to Prostaff?
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Buckma...014V0H2RS854D&qid=1567259633&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, looked there and dexterclearance.com but the only interesting thing I saw was a Nikon (forget exactly which one) that is usually about $130 *might* be available at the 81st street store for $64 (all the other stores were regular price). But said it might be a display model or something that is not actually available for sale. Since it was the only store, I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm tempted to go see just in case, but I might need to load up some more ammo first. LOL!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have multiple Nikon scopes in 3-9x40 and a 4-12x40 and what i noticed in differences in different models was not clarity of the glass as all are exactly the same there the under 180 dollar Nikons anyway.

The difference is the thickness of reticle and some have fast focus eye piece.
Instead of turning the lock nut back and adjusting the end of the tube the more expensive ones lock the tube and just a small end of the scope needs turned for focus.
This helps in acquiring the target quickly or at least getting a clear focus quickly.

Helps with old eyes.

I was out shooting one day at 300 yards I had my savage 10FP heavy barrel .308 with 6-24 x40 scope on it. And a mossberg 100ATR in .243 with pencil barrel.
Both would shoot under 2.5" at 300 That particular day the .243 won the shoot by making a group more than 1/2" smaller than the much more expensive Savage.
Handloads tailored to each gun.

Scope on the .243.
Older Tasco 3-9x50.
Yea go figure.
I do have a Vortex crossfire 3-9x40 but have not mounted it on a rifle yet to compare it to my Nikons.
I keep getting these 99-109 dollar Nikons and I am not disappointed in them at all.

I do like the fast focus eye piece best though.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DANG! I don't know if I am just livin' right this weekend, or if God has given up on that ever happening, and decided to go ahead and bless me as if I was anyway.

I took a flyer and went to the ONE Walmart that was showing this Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC scope for $64 (every other Walmart shows $128) to make absolutely sure it wasn't available.

All of the other scopes were on the upper shelves and had prices marked on the shelf. This little Nikon was tucked down on the bottom shelf, no price. So I saw a guy working near sporting goods and asked if he could help with a scope. He says, "What did you need?" I said, "A price". He goes over to the display case with me, and I point to the Nikon tucked down in the corner and say this one, and without scanning it or even really looking at it, he says, "SIXTY four." So I wondered if he hadn't stuck it down there hoping no one would notice until he could buy it.

Anyway, I have less than two hundred in this rig that if I'd paid even Walmart's low regular price, would have been close to $600. I'm on a ROLL!!!

I'll post a pic of the receipt in the "Did you get anything cool today" thread, maybe if someone can show them a print of that, they can get one at the other stores for the same price?.

BTW, it is brand new, in the package, so it's not a display, open box, flawed, etc.

Really appreciate all of the responses!

Latest posts

Top Bottom