Looking for Some Input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good scattergun is best for home defense.

As far as a good 9mm is concerned, my very favorite (and often overlooked) is a Smith & Wesson 59 series. The 3rd gen 5906 can usually be had for a song and it's gonna have the least amount of recoil than any other 9mm because of their hefty stainless on stainless design.

S&W autos really do get pushed into the shadows because of the latest and greatest polymer kid on the block.

It's a damn shame really. :grumble:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A shame, yes, but it's for a reason. I never realized why until I finally broke a bought a polymer gun (Glock 19); it is noticeably lighter than my Sig 228, which has an alloy frame, and a heck of a lot lighter than my all stainless 1911.

I'd love to get an all Stainless 9mm for the range, but I'll keep my polymer gun for carry.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to go to H&H Gun range and rent several and decide which one YOU like best and shoot the best. Each have their own quirks and handling characteristics.

A couple I'd try are the Glocks, the M&P's and the SA XD's.

Happy hunting!

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I really like our Sig P239's in 9mm. They feel perfect in the hand.

We have the DAK trigger, so there are no de-cockers or safeties to mess with. Just point and shoot like a revolver. The DAK trigger did take some getting used to, but now it's my favorite pistol.

They're a little heavier than other similar compacts, but I prefer steel over polymer.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I could only have one handgun for the rest of my life it would be a Glock 19 because of its durability and ease of maintenance. It would serve you well. If you absolutely can't stand the grip (some people can't) I'd recommend a Sig Sauer (228/229 or 226/220 if you want a full size gun). Sigs are my personal favorite, although they do require a little more maintenance and practice.

That being said, there are a lot of excellent guns on the market. Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps, HKs, etc....Find one that fits your hand and points well. Buy a lot of ammo and practice.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have shot a Glock and like it, that would be my pick. I have a 19. Money is going to be the issue here being I don't know what you want to spend. Also if you plan on carrying this gun later I would find one you will be able to conceal the best on yourself. I prefer Glocks.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to go to H&H Gun range and rent several and decide which one YOU like best and shoot the best. Each have their own quirks and handling characteristics.

This^^^

However, I'll throw in the FNP-9 and the CZ P-07 since nobody has suggested either yet. The CZ can easily pull double duty as a house gun as well as a CC piece, Matches the Glock in firepower and beats it in price.

The FNP-9 is along the same price as the Glock 19 as well. It comes with replaceable back straps, 3 16 round mags, and replaceable rails if you ever manage to were them out.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have owned glock 17, 19, 26. 26 is by far my favourite of the three and the one I carry almost daily. Another good choice although a little heavier is ruger p series. My dad has the polymer frame 9, think it's a p95, and loves it. Btw the longer mags fit inthe subcompact glock26 so you can carry w/ a ten rounder and have a 15 or 17 round reload handy. Makes the gun easier to hide

Latest posts

Top Bottom