Looking for some shooting buddies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't the cattle get hardware disease or lead poisoning with the metal particles in the bales?

It can happen, but you'll need to put a lot of lead out there. Still, this is why I mostly shoot into a berm, onto a steel plate that is on a fence row that I killed off, or onto a steel plate just off the edge of a hay meadow.

Cattle first...shooting and hunting works around it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9299921/

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can happen, but you'll need to put a lot of lead out there. Still, this is why I mostly shoot into a berm, onto a steel plate that is on a fence row that I killed off, or onto a steel plate just off the edge of a hay meadow.

Cattle first...shooting and hunting works around it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9299921/
Thanks for that, our cattle are rotated to the range but then our range lead is going to be far less than seen there.. Akuna matata at present..

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Advice for both the range owner and any potential guests, just make sure to only share positive opinions about the regime (or stay away from politics), and don't do any "favors" for your new found friend(s). Otherwise, you might find yourself in a worse situation than Buffalo Bob :)

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good news. I got permission from my neighbor who owns the 500 plus acres that surround my property, I am able to set up and shoot targets on his land. I now have the ability to shoot at over one mile from my property.

Just wanted to share to those looking to shoot at extended ranges.

Are you inviting others? I just ask out of curiosity.

I've got permission to hunt about 9-10 properties for hogs, and I ensure the landowners that I'll be alone when I'm there. Or I'll specifically ask well ahead if time if I can bring a buddy on a given date and time.

As a landowner myself, giving someone permission to access my place and immediately having them showing up with all sorts of people unfamiliar to me would be about the fastest way possible for me to revoke access. Maybe I'm just an irritable old fart, and your neighbor is a lot more cool than I am.

Glad you have an extended range now, that sounds awesome. Just don't want you to lose it.

Garrus Vakarian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you inviting others? I just ask out of curiosity.

I've got permission to hunt about 9-10 properties for hogs, and I ensure the landowners that I'll be alone when I'm there. Or I'll specifically ask well ahead if time if I can bring a buddy on a given date and time.

As a landowner myself, giving someone permission to access my place and immediately having them showing up with all sorts of people unfamiliar to me would be about the fastest way possible for me to revoke access. Maybe I'm just an irritable old fart, and your neighbor is a lot more cool than I am.

Glad you have an extended range now, that sounds awesome. Just don't want you to lose it.

Yes inviting others. Everyone would still be shooting on MY land. Just out past my fence line into my neighbors land. There are no structures on my neighbors land, it's all baren, that's why he gave me permission.

Latest posts

Top Bottom