Looking for someone in Tulsa area to replace the spare tire hoist on my PU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently came into possession of a 2003 Ford Superduty. My understanding is that Ford tried to make the spare theft resistant and used special "keys" for the tools to lower the hoist. Mine did not come with said tool leaving me with essentially no spare.

I need someone that can remove the old hoist and replace it with a different one (new or salvage) along with the proper tool for operating the hoist.

I am in the Tulsa area.

Thanks

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You can go to a Ford dealership and order a new "spare tire key", and it's much cheaper than replacing the hoist if you wish. Also, go to the car wash or take a power washer and stick the nozzle in the spare tire tube that's at the rear bumper and drown it until the water runs clean. Those tubes were notorious for filling up with the dirt, leaving the "spare tire key" useless.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

After you get the tire down you can pop the security bit off the hoist and then use a standard 3/4" extension and socket to lower it, or an older spare tire tool kit will work as well. Just like this:

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that the "keys" are no longer available from dealers. I've seen the videos and understand how to remove the old one and take off the security lug, I just don't have the physical ability to do this and as long as the old one has to be removed, I'd just as soon as replace it, but thanks anyway

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah ok. Sorry, didn't know there was reasons you wouldn't be able to other than not knowing how. I live in BA and would be able to help. If you order the part or pick it up, I'm off Sun-Tues but won't be available today or late wednesday. I can travel to you.
See right there is why I like Oklahoma and Okshooters !!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah ok. Sorry, didn't know there was reasons you wouldn't be able to other than not knowing how. I live in BA and would be able to help. If you order the part or pick it up, I'm off Sun-Tues but won't be available today or late wednesday. I can travel to you.
How can I PayPal you $10 to help pay for your time?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Tanis143 thats awesome bud!! I live east of Tulsa, have shop and bout every tool known to man if y'all get in a bind.
Mayyyyybe not every tool known to man but if it can be welded, torched, plasmad, wrenched or just plain sledged.....got it covered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom