Looking Good for 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes sir! I couldn't believe they were there on the first cameras checked by one of the guys. There's still a lot of property to cover and inventory, too.

Glad you were able to find something as an alternative to public. I'd read your threads every year and the things you would experience on public in your area and I would have given up hunting as a result. Way to hang in there. Now, on to the good stuff..............corn/wheat cleaning piles, or non-throwing feeder 15y from the stand, be ready any evening during the first week of October that the wind is right, and don't let anyone tell you any different, it will be your best chance at a good one lol. I have no idea how big the property is you're hunting, and I've never really deer hunted with others at the same time on the same property (other than controlled hunts), so how does everyone go about getting to stands without messing one another up, assuming that everyone would be hunting at the same time, which may or may not happen, I don't know?

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad you were able to find something as an alternative to public. I'd read your threads every year and the things you would experience on public in your area and I would have given up hunting as a result. Way to hang in there. Now, on to the good stuff..............corn/wheat cleaning piles, or non-throwing feeder 15y from the stand, be ready any evening during the first week of October that the wind is right, and don't let anyone tell you any different, it will be your best chance at a good one lol. I have no idea how big the property is you're hunting, and I've never really deer hunted with others at the same time on the same property (other than controlled hunts), so how does everyone go about getting to stands without messing one another up, assuming that everyone would be hunting at the same time, which may or may not happen, I don't know?
I am with you okie I believe the best time to kill a big buck is the first 2 weeks or the last 2 weeks of the season

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's a huge relief. I still have a spot or two I'll hunt on public land as the lease is an hour away and I can get to/from public land a bit quicker when I don't have all day to be gone.

As to the lease, even though there are a few more guys on the lease than I'd prefer, it still won't be as bad as public land, provided I'll know who I'm dealing with and everyone is respectful/courteous. We communicate a lot via facebook and have a scoutlook property setup so we can post our stand, feeder and camera locations. That should help in avoiding some of the mentioned issues.

I have a feeder with a spinning motor, though I have seen it spook deer off before, so I'm considering a conversion to a gravity feeder type. Having cattle around isn't going to help. For those that have cattle and feeders, how far out do you place hog wire fence to keep the cattle away from the feeder, but allow the deer access to the corn? I was considering using 4' hog wire fencing and t-posts to create a 20' berth on either side of the feeder.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've only been on a deer lease a couple times, and the best people to have on a lease with you are those who are really busy, have lots of kids, season college football tickets, etc......they never spend much time hunting, but their money is good all the same lol. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20' for your fence is fine. Back when I was on a lease over by Hominy, we had a map with boundaries within the property so each hunter had their place to hunt. We had about 120 acres each. Gentleman's agreement to not to go on the others area if they weren't there, etc. It worked out really well until the owner died, and the kids started fussing over the land, and we got booted off.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll be interesting figuring everything out. It's the first year any of the guys have been on it, so we're on a level playing field to start, though I suck at scouting (or maybe it really was the pressured pubic land).

I agree on that first week of October comment. Seemed to always have the most deer around at that time with the rut being a gamble on pure luck. I may actually split up my vacation and spend some in October.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll be interesting figuring everything out. It's the first year any of the guys have been on it, so we're on a level playing field to start, though I suck at scouting (or maybe it really was the pressured pubic land).

I agree on that first week of October comment. Seemed to always have the most deer around at that time with the rut being a gamble on pure luck. I may actually split up my vacation and spend some in October.

I haven't been on a lease since the early '80's with my Dad, and from that experience, it's a miracle I didn't lose all interest in deer hunting.

The playing field may be starting out level, but NOW is the time for you to tilt it in your favor by scouting. It should be your goal to "know" the deer in the area you intend to hunt, and by mid September have a "target" buck picked out (or that would be my plan of attack).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom