Looking to buy shooting land. Talk to me about pipeline easements...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 8" gas pipeline running from north to south on my ranch...it was explained to me that in my instance the gas company has access to repair or replace the line as need be. The line is old as the right-a-way has completely grown up with small trees and bushes. The gas company did do a line survey with marker flags a couple of years ago but that's all that they have done to date. The line is exposed where it crosses a gully and I've put my ear to it and can't hear gas moving through it so it may not active.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our old house in Edmond had a natural gas pipeline just over our property line next door. The builder, had to put $5,000 in escrow in case they needed to rip up a retaining wall or driveway to fix/repair the pipeline that was technically next door. Pretty sure it ran under Fairfax Golf Course (now Edmond Golf Club) which tells me you can do something over it BUT you own the repair damage if they need to work on it.

Still ... Talk to a lawyer.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing in consulting an attorney - just make sure it is a real estate attorney. It will be worth every single penny.

This is coming from a realtor

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your title work is done as you say - then they should supply a plot drawing that clearly marks location as well as the width (30ft ea side of center, etc). I wouldn’t buy anything withought title insurance!

I had a 48” line that goes from Canada to California across my place in the Idaho Panhandle. Couldn’t build permanent structures over their right-of-way but they were not intrusive and were responsive about getting people out when I put a road across it.

Up near Ark City my gramma had free gas for life as part of the deal they negotiated. But that was when the land-owners had a little more respect and a little more clout with courts.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most blanket easements where done years ago and most if them time like others said will revert to a known distance from the centerline of pipe. You can request the easements from the title company. I would be happy to look them over for you. I have been working in the civil/survey field for years. Like others say contact an attorney they can tell you more or contact the pipeline company and see if they an updated easement for those pipelines. Now days pipelines and utility companies can't do a blanket easements. I done 100s of title plats in my time.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I would look around for other property. If you don't know about oil properties, their easements and the liabilities stay away from it. You will never know the complete history of what's been done on that property. Once you buy it, you are responsible for everything that happens on that property.

You never know when a sludge pit or mud pit will to the surface on the land from some old oil operation from the 1930's that NO ONE knew about. It's yours.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The easement should be on file at the Logan County Clerk’s office in Guthrie. You should be able to get a copy from them, then have an attorney review it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom