Looks like I need a new chronograph.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those chrony's seem to read low to start with, do a search on Enos and you'll find a lot of griping about them.

3.3gr of Solo1000 always got me around 133 PF with a 147gr bullet, but I quit shooting production before I used any 147's at a big match.

Please let us know what you find out regarding the CED chrony.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear this Lonnie. I'm sure it was extremely frustrating for both you and Robbie.

I had quite a surprise at the Double Tap club match last month. The load that made PF at 60 degrees didn't make power factor at 90 degrees. I was using WST which is inversely temp sensitive. Is Solo 1000 the same?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me, he will not raise the gun up, I went minor at Area 4 with a "borrowed gun" my gun went 169 PF, before the extractor broke, with the borrowed gun the first three rounds were well below the min. He asked what I wanted to do and I asked him to raise the gun up and his response was " do you shoot it that way?" even though I said sometimes he didnt see the humor and shot the other three rounds which were no better than the first. Average PF was 162, barrels do make a diffrence.

There is no requirement in the current USPSA rule book to elevate the muzzle; however nothing says that it cannot be elevated. No NROI rulings regarding this issue.

In a shooter-friendly world, I would hope that a chrono test guy would be willing to go the (very short) extra mile for the shooter, who has traveled many miles to attend the match. From the viewpoint of the chrono guy, he is correct that muzzles are not elevated before each shot at the match.

Different barrels and chambers very definitely make a difference in velocity, for the exact same load.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's time for the "ammo in the ice chest until just before firing" trick with some Solo 1000. Blue Dot and the long-discontinued Winchester 452AA are/were inversely temperature sensitive.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDPA just modified their rules to say:

"Prior to each shot, the muzzle of the gun should be elevated to move the powder charge to the rear of the case, thus giving the competitor every chance to achieve maximum velocity."

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDPA just modified their rules to say:

"Prior to each shot, the muzzle of the gun should be elevated to move the powder charge to the rear of the case, thus giving the competitor every chance to achieve maximum velocity."

IDPA already requires "elevate muzzle before each shot" in the current 2005 edition of the rulebook. Not a rule change for IDPA.

What the competitor ran afoul was USPSA rules, which do not require muzzle elevation.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going through the IDPA Rule Addendum released yesterday and they showed this as being "lanuage added". However, I went back to the rule book and it is in fact already there.
It's a little confusing stating "Where language has been added to existing rules, the existing language will appear as Italicized in red."

IDPA already requires "elevate muzzle before each shot" in the current 2005 edition of the rulebook. Not a rule change for IDPA.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I moved my load from 3.4gr of Solo to 3.6. I don't really care what the problem is. If I have to, I'll shoot 150pf ammo in production just so I never have to worry about this again. I'm still trying not to think about all the time and money I wasted on the match.

Latest posts

Top Bottom