Looks like I'm joining the stainless pin tumbling crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I an effort to surprise me for Christmas, the wife did all the research on all the items needed to get me a stainless pin tumbling setup. She landed on the Thumlers Tumbler and .047 pins. (5lbs worth). After all the work and getting everything ordered. the machine arrived in a nice white box with "Thumlers Tumbler" on the side, essentially ruining the surprise. She was visibly upset about it.

I've tried to convince her that I've not seen the package and have no idea what she's talking about, but I don't think she's buying it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should never pin tumble any brass you have.

The issue I found with pin tumbling is that I have 100's of cleaned resized trimmed cases in many sizes that were walnut or citric acid boiled clean and after I pin tumbled a batch of cases all that stash of what I called clean before is now dirty cases and I hate to even load them.

When you get it running you will clean all your "cleaned" cases.
So to help you out, keep you from going crazy, I will either take all your cleaned cases before you get your present or I will swap you a 1lb jug of mixed nuts for your tumbler and pins.
Some nuts may cause allergies :) just saying

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should never pin tumble any brass you have.

The issue I found with pin tumbling is that I have 100's of cleaned resized trimmed cases in many sizes that were walnut or citric acid boiled clean and after I pin tumbled a batch of cases all that stash of what I called clean before is now dirty cases and I hate to even load them.

When you get it running you will clean all your "cleaned" cases.
So to help you out, keep you from going crazy, I will either take all your cleaned cases before you get your present or I will swap you a 1lb jug of mixed nuts for your tumbler and pins.
Some nuts may cause allergies :) just saying

See, this is why I love this site. Friends helping friends. Always lookin' out for each other.

I've caught myself thinking about all the brass I have with spent primers still in place. I think I'm going to end up running the all through the deprimer and then right into the tumbler. At this point, my concern has to do with the extremely hard water we have. Seems like the last time I tried to "wash" brass, I ended up with terribly discolored brass once it was dry. Is the lemi-shine supposed to take care of that?

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll love it. I haven't touched my vibratory cleaner since I got my tThumlers. I only wish there was an easier way to sort the brass from the pins, even with the rotary sorter, the pins still get stuck in the cases and I flush each one individually. But it's a very small price to pay!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You'll love it. I haven't touched my vibratory cleaner since I got my tThumlers. I only wish there was an easier way to sort the brass from the pins, even with the rotary sorter, the pins still get stuck in the cases and I flush each one individually. But it's a very small price to pay!

I've wondered what the best way would be to flush the pins from the brass once it's cleaned. The Franklin media separator that sits on a 5 gallon bucket seems to be the best way. It would make sense to fill the bucket with water up to the brim so that the bottom half of the separator bowl with the media/brassis submerged. As you turn the separator, the pins are "washed out" of the brass and fall to the bottom of the bucket, leaving brass in the separator with no pins inside. This might even act as a rinse for the brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom