Losing our big tree...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pulled two 40ish foot Silver Maples down in my back yard about 8-9 years ago. I was lucky and dumb enough to rent a small man lift that I pushed into the back yard. Looked real close to this one: http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/u/g/j/2010_genie_tz___3420_tow_behind_manlift_1_lgw.jpg You might consider this as an option. Especially if its in the front yard. You might even get a taller lift that can reach where you need it.

One tree was a good 2' in diameter and the other was closer to 3' if not bigger. My Stihl with a 16" bar went through a few blades working down the stumps. I cut smaller sections than I needed to. I just wanted to make sure what I was above the house I could manage when it came loose. Both trees were within 6' of the back of my house and a good 10-15' from my neighbors houses. I wasn't taking chances with any property damage.

I believe I rented the lift on Saturday morning and returned it on Sunday for a 1 day rental fee. Regardless the money I spent on the lift was a hell of a lot cheaper than paying someone to come in and clear them out for me. That and it was fun. Well, fun until I came down and realized just how much material I sent to the ground. I filled up an 18' trailer multiple times.

If your able to do this it could save you alot of money. You could pay a tree company to just come in and haul it off. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and the main reason I pulled the 2 trees in the back and the 2 in the front(2 years earlier): GRASS. Silver Maples destroy the grass. I now have full coverage in the front and back yards. The Oak we planted in the front has a long way to go but its getting there.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap for what? I paid $600 last summer to trim it... it's gonna be around $2k to remove. And believe me, that's cheap for this tree. It's gonna be a dangerous job for whomever the damn fool is that agrees to climb up there and take this thing apart from the top down.
had a huge oak die a few years ago, near my house and power lines, called three tree companies and cheapest bid was 3500. Called a guy on craigslist, 500 bucks hauled off or 800 cut an stacked.
Still got his number if ya need it. Might still be cheap, didnt seem to be a tweaker either

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
In our town, the tree guys are required to be bonded and insured. And I don't want to take a chance with someone getting hurt, property damaged, etc. It's not worth the cost savings. I'm good with paying to have it done and done right, I'm just lamenting the need and even more than the money, losing our tree, which contributes so much to the character of our yard.

Just sucks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In our town, the tree guys are required to be bonded and insured. And I don't want to take a chance with someone getting hurt, property damaged, etc. It's not worth the cost savings. I'm good with paying to have it done and done right, I'm just lamenting the need and even more than the money, losing our tree, which contributes so much to the character of our yard.

Just sucks.

Sent you a pm, tree doctoring has been my trade for the last 20 years, might be able to help.

I need to send you some pics to see if my tree is experiencing the same. Its a maple, but the bark is dying off the west side. Lots of small dead limbs in the top. Its 2' dia. and 30' tall. I'll take some in the morning.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure to take pictures of any dark spots in the bark, or any areas where the bark is "bubbling" up off the main truck. Look especially for dark discoloration high up, in the junction of major limbs to the trunk and bark peeling up high, too.

Mine is Biscogniauxia (Hypoxylon Canker) and shotty confirmed via PM that we're toast. No cure. You can look up that name with maple and see if any of the Google pics look like your tree.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure to take pictures of any dark spots in the bark, or any areas where the bark is "bubbling" up off the main truck. Look especially for dark discoloration high up, in the junction of major limbs to the trunk and bark peeling up high, too.

Mine is Biscogniauxia (Hypoxylon Canker) and shotty confirmed via PM that we're toast. No cure. You can look up that name with maple and see if any of the Google pics look like your tree.

I'll look at that, and take some pics to post. We lost several trees during the drought, river birch, Japanese elm, pear tree, and a weeping willow. Even noticed some dead trunks in our persimmon grove, although it looks like they have sprouted new growth below the dead areas.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We've lost 30-40 oak trees to Hypoxlon Canker in our RV park. I talked to the Noble Foundation and was told fertilizer and a lot of water might slow it down, but otherwise nothing could done. Just cut it down and burn.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our maple
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440517641.087585.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440517809.464345.jpg

Noticed this fungus at the base of the tree.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440517827.112507.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom