Losing our big tree...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your tree. We've sadly had a bad situation in our area with something the OSU extension office identified as Hypoxylon canker in oak trees. The fungus affects mature trees, mainly, and will kill a 3-4 foot, trunk diameter, tree in just a few days. It causes the bark to pop off the tree. Very odd. Apparently most trees have this fungus but it attacks and kills stressed trees. Well, the summers of 2012 & 2013 for us sucked for rain so I guess we had a lot of stressed trees. The OSU folks told us to keep the trees stress free by watering and feeding. Best of luck.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh... yeah, dennis, that doesn't look good. I can't say for sure it's the same thing we've got, but it doesn't look good to me at all.

<edit> And from what the OSU Extension guy told us, the wood shouldn't be burned, either, because that aerosolizes the spores and infects other trees nearby.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tR if that tree is big you could recoup some of your cost by having a sawyer cut it up for you and sell it. The sawyer would likely take some for payment too and may even pay you to do the work for the lumber. If you can get some big oak beams, like for fireplace mantels or similar, you are looking at several hundred $$ apiece. Cutting it into boards will net you several hundred too and depending on the tree could be north of $1500 easily. Hardwood lumber is just hella expensive these days. The tornado blew over two really large oaks along the creek in my daughter's back yard. I about cried to see it cut up and hauled to the landfill. One of those trees was over 200 years old.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really but I'll look on some other forums and post back if I find anything. I know of a couple but they are in the lake Texoma and Ardmore area, probably not going to travel that far. Any ideas on how big or how old the tree is? Do you know what species of oak it is? White Oak is awesome and pretty sought after for outside furniture, red oak is the worst of the oaks for that.

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the OSU extension office look at trees to see if they are damaged for free. During the ice storm in 2007 my neighbor had a split trunk tree, split. One end went through the roof and the other side of the tree is still up. You can tell. The tree is weakened and leaning. Every year it leans more and more. The trunk is 100 percent on his side but the tree leans over my house and sons bedroom. I have offered to help with costs but the landlord ignores me. Hope this would helpe situation.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the OSU extension office look at trees to see if they are damaged for free. During the ice storm in 2007 my neighbor had a split trunk tree, split. One end went through the roof and the other side of the tree is still up. You can tell. The tree is weakened and leaning. Every year it leans more and more. The trunk is 100 percent on his side but the tree leans over my house and sons bedroom. I have offered to help with costs but the landlord ignores me. Hope this would helpe situation.

Yes, OSU Extension guy came out and checked it out and took pics and then came back and gave us some advice both on the tree, another tree, some lawn and garden tips and printed out paperwork - all for free. Pretty cool.

Not really but I'll look on some other forums and post back if I find anything. I know of a couple but they are in the lake Texoma and Ardmore area, probably not going to travel that far. Any ideas on how big or how old the tree is? Do you know what species of oak it is? White Oak is awesome and pretty sought after for outside furniture, red oak is the worst of the oaks for that.

I don't think it's a red oak... not a pin oak, either, we have that in the backyard, a smallish one for now. I don't know how to tell, but I wonder if they would be interested at all, considering it is "diseased"? Who knows how much rot is on the inside?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's a red oak... not a pin oak, either, we have that in the backyard, a smallish one for now. I don't know how to tell, but I wonder if they would be interested at all, considering it is "diseased"? Who knows how much rot is on the inside?

That I have no clue about since I have zero experience in this area. But if the damage is outside on the bark or even limited to a small area there's going to be good wood to use.

And yes, there are a bunch of oak species in Oklahoma. This might help:

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The most accurate procedure for detecting root rot or trunk decay makes use of tool called a Resistograph. Here’s how it works: A tiny drill bit, less than of one-eighth inch in diameter, is pushed into the tree with a gear. A scratch pin records on a wax paper strip the resistance to the drill bit as it enters the tree. This does not damage the tree, and it can tell the tester how decayed or hollow the tree is."

source: http://www.treeinspection.com/spot_a_dangerous_tree.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom