Lost Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the heck is going on with so many folks needing help finding their deer?!?:scratch:
TX and OK have both now approved the use of tracking/trailing dogs, and I’m all for it. Heck, I’ve had a trained blood trailing dog for 10 years (for personal use only of course). What I’m seeing now though is a staggering number of people having to call for help finding their deer. I mean ALOT of people in TX and OK.
I’ve heard it suggested that it just seems like a lot of people due to social media, and maybe that’s what it is.
The real question that has me scratching my head is what would these folks do if using a dog still wasn’t legal or what did they do in past years if they couldn’t find a deer?!?:anyone:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the heck is going on with so many folks needing help finding their deer?!?:scratch:

The rage of long range hunting and people not learning fundamentals to make good shots. Some don't make a mental note of where the deer was or lose the spot by the time they walk "over there". Archery included in this one. Then they can't find sign and trample the area looking for it. I think it's a culmination of events that lead to that phone call.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rage of long range hunting and people not learning fundamentals to make good shots. Some don't make a mental note of where the deer was or lose the spot by the time they walk "over there". Archery included in this one. Then they can't find sign and trample the area looking for it. I think it's a culmination of events that lead to that phone call.
I think you’re on track. My theory includes lack of preparation with their weapon, lack of knowledge of their quarry, lack of patience to give the animal time to expire before attempting recovery, and generally being oblivious to their surroundings.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens to most everyone a time or two. It happens to some people every freakin year. With scoped rifles especially it sure makes you wonder. Archery can go wrong a lot easier but I'm usually pretty confident how it will go with a modern rifle.

I have a buddy who is a habitual "look over the scope" guy and thus consistently drops his gun and raises his head to see if the deer is down and shoots low. Way low. Leg low or clean miss low. I am no competitive shooter myself and have lots of bad shooting habits but I can hit a basketball at 80 yards with a rifle. Some folks fall apart on game.

I've lost a muzzleloader deer and clean missed 2, but never had a loss with modern rifle in 20 years. I hope jinxes aren't real and I botch a shot tomorrow...lol

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
TX and OK have both now approved the use of tracking/trailing dogs, and I’m all for it. Heck, I’ve had a trained blood trailing dog for 10 years (for personal use only of course). What I’m seeing now though is a staggering number of people having to call for help finding their deer. I mean ALOT of people in TX and OK.
I’ve heard it suggested that it just seems like a lot of people due to social media, and maybe that’s what it is.
The real question that has me scratching my head is what would these folks do if using a dog still wasn’t legal or what did they do in past years if they couldn’t find a deer?!?:anyone:

Do these hunters have to answer any questions or fill any forms out? It might be interesting the circumstances surrounding the need for a tracker. Caliber, lighting, inattention to correct location, search methods used, etc.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do these hunters have to answer any questions or fill any forms out? It might be interesting the circumstances surrounding the need for a tracker. Caliber, lighting, inattention to correct location, search methods used, etc.

No.
I’ve heard of deer shot with elephant guns that run off. That falls into the wrong bullet for the job at hand.
Taking game ethically is the responsibility of the hunter to research and execute. Unfortunately, some folks inherit grandpas rifle and think it will be the magic wand that grandpa used to keep the freezer full, taking it into the field only to make a bad shot because they didn’t practice or they didn’t know where to take the ethical shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom