Lost Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am compiling some data on the ones I have been called to track. One thing common in every single one is they "know it was a good shot". Signs often point the opposite.
People have a different opinion than myself of what is "good blood", "good shot" etc.

This one gets old and often why people never find thier deer or call for help to begin with. The absolute first thing you must do when tracking is be honest with yourself. What is the sign telling you? You make think you drilled him perfect but if the sign says otherwise you have to admit to yourself you made a bad shot and BACK OUT!

Most people won't do this, bump the deer, and F everything up. I've had guys argue with me when they've called me over to help. They just kept pushing, and you guessed it they bumped that deer and never found it.

EVERYONE makes a bad shot at some point and the sooner you admit that and face that fact the better your chances are of finding that animal.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it should.
Did you know that if you shoot a man in the finger with .45acp it'll knock him flat-ass down?

Y'know, I've heard that before. I think it was my drill instructor. Of course he is the one that shot his own hand demonstrating the "slide detent safety". Come to think of it, he didn't go down he just asked if anyone had a Band-aid. Shoots that myth don't it?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's been true in my own experience, but some people can weave a bullet through the neck and not hit anything vital. If you can hit them in the neck you can hit them above the brisket or behind the shoulder. In some cases you can even shoot them in the ass, like Fred Bear recommended.

Fred would fling an arrow. Howard Hill said if you want to kill something you got to put some wood in the air. Teddy Roosevelt liked to get close as he was a notoriously poor shot but also "was a big proponent of powder burning" if he couldn't get close. You read the accounts of early gun slingers west of the big bend in the Missouri and they'd just cut loose in the general direction of entire groups of critters a fair poke away then saunter over and see what they hit. Some old time shootin'.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my pet peeve of neck shots, pro deer cullers would take them if they were the magic pill old goobers say they are. Grandpa did a lot things the hard way, ask grandma.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2012/09/where-aim-kill-deer-one-shot/

What's up with the "old goobers" thing? Just because you may disagree with a comment from someone that doesn't do it your way and is older, is it necessary to denigrate them for your personal gratification to make you feel better in some way?
Do you know why and where I shoot my deer, and do you approve or disapprove so I can be in or out of your identity politics?

Latest posts

Top Bottom