Lost Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dads buddy was shooting 110 HP bullets from his 30-30 that he made when I was a kid. He is the guy I got my 1947 Dodge truck from.
I did get some 125gr HP bullets but have not shot a deer with them.
I keep reaching for the gun that always shoots the same hot or cold day after day fouled or clean it will stick the bullet in the same spot on the first shot.
223 savage Axis.
That gun has spoiled me.
I just changed the scope on it the other day and I am right on at 100 and 3/4" low at 200.
No excuses if I miss.
Fun pecking squirrels off.
I never been on a prairie dog shoot ..I bet that was fun.
I've never had more fun that prairy dogs. Brother is a Veterinarian and he worked the sandhills of NE and knew several large ranchers who gave him year round open invites to kill em all.
I was young and had just bought my first house, he asked me to come visit for a 4 day weekend and told me to brink a gun for a dog shoot. I couldnt afford to buy another gun at the time and all I have was the winchester 94 so I decided to load 150 30 cal 110s and also took a .22. I had shot lots of dogs with the .22 in past visits but was bored with that. It usually left them alive long enough to crawl back in the hole. The 30-30 tossed their carcass 6' in the air (not sure of the physics involved there) and scattered their guts into the next county. It was awesome. Between us, we had 600 rnds, and a 12 pack of beer lol. Drove up, parked and shot for 3 hours. Slowly advancing the truck as we cleared them out. We estimated a 75% kill ratio...or about 450 dogs.
Good times right there.
The destruction they cause in those sandy pastures was terrible.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. Does appear to maybe be a cast bullet. Even if all of the jacket is peeled away, you generally still see some indication of the petals where it mushroomed. And, yeah, come on @dennishoddy , is it closer to a .22 or a 50 cal?!?!?!
There is rifling on what little of the base is left so it's more than likely a cast bullet with no antimony? Very soft.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not in a 110 grain hollow point. I was making reloads for mine years ago for prairy dogs in western NE and I was poping them at 175 yards. Nothing left but a nose and tail. LOL I forget the speed I was getting but It was impressive.
They also have a 55 grain sabot I'm going to try and reload. Just not sure about reloading a sabot.
check em out. That would be a 4200 fps round ina 30-06
https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type-Sabots-for-30-Caliber-Cartridges-100_p_13645.html
I have those sabot's in 30-06. Shot the Remington factory rounds years ago. They took the factory stuff off the market just a few years ago. Accuracy wasn't the best, but they were minute of game.
Edit: I would have to agree that it's a possible pass through from another deer.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have those sabot's in 30-06. Shot the Remington factory rounds years ago. They took the factory stuff off the market just a few years ago. Accuracy wasn't the best, but they were minute of game.
Edit: I would have to agree that it's a possible pass through from another deer.
I’ve still got a piece of a box of 30-30 “accelerator” ammo from the 80’s. My wife killed her one and only deer using it.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve still got a piece of a box of 30-30 “accelerator” ammo from the 80’s. My wife killed her one and only deer using it.:thumb:
I still have 30 or so loaded 30-06 accelerators, and bought a hundred sabots awhile back to reload one of these days. Always used the 55 grain, but might go up to the 78 grain and see how they shoot.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably shoot roughly 500 rounds of bolt action 7mm/6.5mm a year using the same type and weight bullet for the particular caliber. I try to make shot placement (red dot above the heart in the picture below) here when the deer is broadside. I'm still able to get both lungs and it seems the hydrostatic shock of the bullet to the spine or maybe a spine hit causes a DRT. Granted, this type shot is usually within roughly 400 yards. Shots greater than that and I'll aim lower like the picture due to a possible miss judgment in wind value. With the exception of one deer I have never had any run out of my sight. The one exception went over the back side of a pond dam. I did have an antelope run about 100 yards or so but in that country I don't think it could ever get out of sight unless you missed the shot. Where I hunt and the way I hunt allows me to shoot either from the prone or sitting position. Utilizing tools such as a bipod/rear bag/backpack for elbow support allow for a stronger shooting position. I can honestly say I have never had to blood trail a single deer, elk, antelope, or hog.

Who knows why more people need to trail their deer nowadays. Poor shooter, hurry the shot, buck fever, poor bullet performance/shot placement; the list is long and varied. Shooting is a depreciable skill and one must practice often and in the situation you may encounter in the field. It all begins with practice and the knowledge of ones equipment.

shot_placement_organs.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably shoot roughly 500 rounds of bolt action 7mm/6.5mm a year using the same type and weight bullet for the particular caliber. I try to make shot placement (red dot above the heart in the picture below) here when the deer is broadside. I'm still able to get both lungs and it seems the hydrostatic shock of the bullet to the spine or maybe a spine hit causes a DRT. Granted, this type shot is usually within roughly 400 yards. Shots greater than that and I'll aim lower like the picture due to a possible miss judgment in wind value. With the exception of one deer I have never had any run out of my sight. The one exception went over the back side of a pond dam. I did have an antelope run about 100 yards or so but in that country I don't think it could ever get out of sight unless you missed the shot. Where I hunt and the way I hunt allows me to shoot either from the prone or sitting position. Utilizing tools such as a bipod/rear bag/backpack for elbow support allow for a stronger shooting position. I can honestly say I have never had to blood trail a single deer, elk, antelope, or hog.

Who knows why more people need to trail their deer nowadays. Poor shooter, hurry the shot, buck fever, poor bullet performance/shot placement; the list is long and varied. Shooting is a depreciable skill and one must practice often and in the situation you may encounter in the field. It all begins with practice and the knowledge of ones equipment.

View attachment 147686

I know for a fact that a whole lot of hunters don't have a clue what bullet/load to use.
They just buy whatever is on the shelf at walmart in their caliber and expect results. Most don't know the difference between FMJ, softpoint, ballistic tip and varmint vs hunting bullet. When results don't come, dog trackers get a call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom