Lost freedoms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember all the things you have mentioned. It seems that a great many of those freedoms, not all, were lost because of individuals (not us, but all those other folks) not having sufficient self control and/or respect for the property of others. Stores allowed folks to run "tabs" until many took advantage of the system, people stopped cleaning up after they fished or hunted on others property, shoplifting started becoming a national past-time, and some started shooting where and when they shouldn't.

We have way too many laws and restrictions, but for the most part, we have brought them ourselves.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try not to think about this sort of thing because eventually I'll ask why we no longer have a high trust society.
Then I'll ask who did this to us.
Then I'll ask why they did it.
Then I'll be banned from entering several countries.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The best part is that the loss of freedoms is usually blamed on the younger generations too with some bull crap about them being soft or dumb or whatever. Like they are in a position to craft the laws that apply to them. Same concept as the "participation trophy". Literally no kid I have ever met wants a participation trophy --- but a lot of parents wanted to see their kids come home with something. Then people say the kids are soft because they wanted it, which twists and perverts how it went down.

While I don't know about @Poke78, so not trying to call you out, but I do see several people in this thread I know are in the older generation that by my observations does that a lot.
Some times it is just a conversation about how things used to be . I see no one knocking anything ..until you get in and "you older generations do that a lot" Seems like you younger gens are incapable of just having trip down memory lane with out trying to turn it into something the thread was not. No one pointed a finger at the "younger generation " but you.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember strapping my(Dads) thuddy-thuddy on my bike and pedaling down to the corner lot and parking my booty on a 2x6 wedged in a tree for several hours. Sammich in a bag and an old canteen of water !! Also remember climbing down and taking a nap !! Good days!!
Also remember getting my booty beat with a belt for not being home by dark............. Not so good day! :cool:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some times it is just a conversation about how things used to be . I see no one knocking anything ..until you get in and "you older generations do that a lot" Seems like you younger gens are incapable of just having trip down memory lane without trying to turn it into something the thread was not. No one pointed a finger at the "younger generation " but you.
Most of the older generation folks on here I see are rabid 2A supporters and are/have raised their children to be the same.
What some see is the ancillary information about younger generations as publicized by the media and liberal educators these days trying their best to indoctrinate our youth that the Constitution is bad and government control is good. In a lot of cases that is actually happening.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some times it is just a conversation about how things used to be . I see no one knocking anything ..until you get in and "you older generations do that a lot" Seems like you younger gens are incapable of just having trip down memory lane with out trying to turn it into something the thread was not. No one pointed a finger at the "younger generation " but you.
You might check your logic... If anything I pointed a finger at the older generation. That seems to be the point of your post even, so why misstate that in the closer?

And the point still stands, memory lane trip or not, that I was agreeing with the point made that the degradations and losses were in fact "By the votes of our elders and ourselves" as was what I cited in the reply to the post. Sorry not sorry that you didn't like my take which built upon that, however as someone that grew up in a generation that didn't get to memory lane about taking rifles to school and whatnot, I have a memory lane of lots of my elders blaming my generation and younger ones for the losses that we didn't have on our card.

I guess since we grew up without freedoms that were already lost then maybe our memory lane seems darker and more confrontational.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the older generation folks on here I see are rabid 2A supporters and are/have raised their children to be the same.
What some see is the ancillary information about younger generations as publicized by the media and liberal educators these days trying their best to indoctrinate our youth that the Constitution is bad and government control is good. In a lot of cases that is actually happening.
I do see what your talking about happening , but I also see a lot of smart youngsters that know what is going on and carrying on the staunch belief in the 2A and the constitution!! Met a couple of them in the ENS's and work with several. One of the guys I work with is getting naturalized on the 24th of June (his wife can't even attend much less me :nono2: Stinking covid) and he is all about the 2a and getting up on the constitution.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Daddy made me a rifle scabbard that mounted on my motorcycle. I took my tent, sleeping bag and some provisions with me and I could ride down the dirt roads and get off to go camping/hunting for the night. Tell you the truth it was a little scary the first few times but I got use to it cause I didn't want to run home afraid in the middle of the night. My Daddy would show up and say he wanted to camp with me a lot of times though which was great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom