Lost freedoms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember as a little kid my grandma would send my brother and I to the near by store to get her smokes.

I remember the same except it was my mom and the local grocery store allowed a "tab". Wasn't nothing for me to go into the store and get a pack of Bel-Aire for ma and put it on her tab... at 10 years old!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 1964 we were living off of NE 46th directly across from the Oklahoma City Zoo and two blocks north of Springlake Amusement Park. Old lady Hadad lived across the street from us. About every three days she’d give me $5.00 and a note to take up to the little store. The clerk would put a couple of packs of cigarettes in a bag and hand that and the change back to me. I’d hop back on my bike and take that bag back to old lady Hadad. She always told me to keep the change. Can’t send your grade school kid up to the store to fetch smokes anymore.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my bolt action .410 to school in 5th grade as part of an oral report assignment. Cleared it with the teacher first and had removed the bolt and left it at home. Was in a gun case and I walked to and from school with it about 6 blocks. Ahh, the good ole' days.

BigMike

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born in 64 and I remember all of the above along with riding my dirt bike (slowly and quietly) 5 or 6 blocks through the neighborhood to where I could ride it in a huge field between SE 44th and SE 59th. Now I live in Edmond and I had my 13 year old drive his 4 stroke dirt bike about a hundred feet down the street when all of a sudden I get a neighbor march straight to my house to chastise me. I did not want to but I had to tell him to call the cops cause they are not going to do anything. Makes me want to move to the country

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I can sure tell you I didn't ask for or vote for any of this crap. I was a single parent from the time my daughter was 9 years old. She had no interest in college and was raised to be responsible for her decisions right or wrong. The day she turned 18 I sat her down and told her, the rent is paid for two months, here is enough cash to last you at least that long, I am leaving for Oklahoma in the morning.

Some people may say I was cruel but she made it. Got a job and eventually married her HS sweetheart. She is still in San Diego living in a $350,000.00 condo she and her husband bought. Don't blame any of the lost freedoms on this old fart, I didn't do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom