Lost power at 8:20 and it just came back on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought about putting this in the preppers thread but not sure it would be of any help.
Power out, tv out, internet out, dog out.....wait get back in here..anyway. I'm now convinced I would not last the night if SHTF. First, I would have to ditch the wife. Not sure how this girl was raised in the country. I had to take the wife and dog on a drive to cool them both off. Ha!

I did get something from it. If SHTF it will probably come quickly and would be wide spread perhaps over several states. You got what you got and most of what you got is going to be gone pretty quick.

Not enough salt (yep, salt will be gold), not enough anything. Travel would be a no go as no gas stations and exactly where would you go?

Guess we'd do the best we could for as long as we could.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever read "One Second After"? Fiction, but a well-researched account of the effect of an EMP attack on America. It is chilling.

Ditto - can't recommend this highly enough for those wanting to understand the SHTF reality, no matter the cause. All three books in the series are instructional at various levels.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna be odd man out here. I HATED "One Second After". Terrible read and it was fiction. Old man bought it thinking he could "scare" me into being a prepper. Didn't work.

What worked was a week without power after an ice storm several years ago. Suddenly the stored gas and generator I constantly complained about taking up too much room in the garage, and the firewood I wouldn't let him burn in the fireplace because it made a mess somebody (ME!) would have to clean up, were A-OKAY in my book because he still had to go to work and I was stuck in that house.

Still haven't eaten an MRE ... ain't gonna either. I'm prepped with REAL food. And a grill with charcoal to cook it on outside. Along with a Sun oven. And some cast iron I could cook in the fireplace with if I had to.

Do I need go on??:hey3:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever read "One Second After"? Fiction, but a well-researched account of the effect of an EMP attack on America. It is chilling.
I've read it three times. It's what can happen with no preparation. "Patriots" is a good one too. It's what can happen with preparation. I also recommend "The New Homefront" five volume series by Steven C. Bird. (No, it's not as big as something like "Atlas Shrugged". It is set in type big enough to read with unaided eyes and is well written, suspenseful, and full of good ideas.)

Woody

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read it three times. It's what can happen with no preparation. "Patriots" is a good one too. It's what can happen with preparation. I also recommend "The New Homefront" five volume series by Steven C. Bird. (No, it's not as big as something like "Atlas Shrugged". It is set in type big enough to read with unaided eyes and is well written, suspenseful, and full of good ideas.)

Woody

Thanks for the reading list. I just ordered the first book in the Homefront series for my Kindle Unlimited service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom