Love surprises in home remodeling. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$1600 to start from Lowe's and that's for standard sizes. I can't afford that right now. Did some research on the prefab shower pans (tile-over type), but those start from $400 to $600 online, waiting for a week or two, plus shipping. Plus, my plumber buddy didn't have great things to say about them... he said they're ok, but you have to work around them and make everything else line up with it, instead of the other way around.

Yup, it's all bare studs and cement floor now.

There may be a lead barrier under the floor cement, but I didn't dig down that far. Just got the tile off for now. Not sure how deep I wanna dig. I may just flatten it out and put my new showerpan over the top.

From everything I've seen, there wasn't a lick of lead, rubber, plastic or anything anywhere in that shower. Whoever the tool was who put it in that way didn't have a good showerpan, which is why the tile at the base cracked and leaked, which is why I am in this situation now.

If I find out who he is, he better :bolt: or he'll get a swift kick in the nuts from me!

Or one to the hip! :chop:

If there is mortar on the floor there is a good chance there is a pan of some sort in there. A poor base(subfloor) is a likely reason your tile cracked.

You can't just go over what is there, it all has to come out, and the proper drain adapter installed to match up with the pan you chose to install.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there is mortar on the floor there is a good chance there is a pan of some sort in there. A poor base(subfloor) is a likely reason your tile cracked.

You can't just go over what is there, it all has to come out, and the proper drain adapter installed to match up with the pan you chose to install.

Sheisse.... even that demo hammer isn't going to cut it for that. At least not with that spade bit on it. And it's gotta be back at 9:30AM, and I have to work at 5. Too late to do any more destruction, plus I'm beat-feet-DEAD right now.

Guess I'll be going to rent a pure-D real-life jackhammer tomorrow. :(

<edit> And if there's any kind of barrier in there, they sure didn't extend it up the walls any. Just sheetrock to the floor and tile.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the old has to come out or you'll be doingthis all over again. Too late now but there are lots of peoplethat replace just pans. Take out all the way until the wood subfloor

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pan is probably behind the sheetrock. The grout busts out pretty easy though. For the ceiling and walls above new tile I suggest cedar siding that's been treated. Looks good smells good and easy to install. When refilling use the spacers. Repeat use the spacers and lay out tile before installing. There will be tiles that need cutting . Trust me

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pan is probably behind the sheetrock. The grout busts out pretty easy though. For the ceiling and walls above new tile I suggest cedar siding that's been treated. Looks good smells good and easy to install. When refilling use the spacers. Repeat use the spacers and lay out tile before installing. There will be tiles that need cutting . Trust me

The sheet rock is all out, there was no barrier coming up from the floor.

And no way I'm putting cedar in this house, it's getting sold soon. Functional and nice, but not overdone. And it wouldn't fit the decor in the least anyways. Basic, but solid is the plan here.

Thanks for the advice, though, everyone. It's good to see I'm not the only one going through this crap. Doesn't make it any easier to finance, but to stomach, maybe...

Latest posts

Top Bottom