Lower Mountain Fork River Trout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any suggestions for bait? I am going to be in the are at the end of the month and thought I'd take a spinning rod. I do not have currently any barbless lures. Looking for suggestions for make, model color ect. for barbless spinners? I guess I could use power bait and marshmellows, but was hoping to just be able to toss some spinners for an hour or two. Looking for ideas I can order online and have in time for the trip, although I guess some local bait shops might have something. Any experienced trout fishermen have any advice?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll be there this weekend, getting married at a cabin right on the river. It’s a little south of the highway though. I’ll try to get a little fishing in and hopefully have some tips.
You’re getting married this weekend and planning to fish on your honeymoon?!?

You sir are my kind of guy!!! :thumb:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re getting married this weekend and planning to fish on your honeymoon?!?

You sir are my kind of guy!!! :thumb:
I seriously considered bringing out the Jon Yacht, but decided that would be a little much. She definitely puts up with a lot. Luckily, she likes her personal time, so after 4-5 days off and the stress of the wedding she’ll probably be happy if I took a few hours in the morning to let her sleep in and enjoy her coffee without me trying to talk to her.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously considered bringing out the Jon Yacht, but decided that would be a little much. She definitely puts up with a lot. Luckily, she likes her personal time, so after 4-5 days off and the stress of the wedding she’ll probably be happy if I took a few hours in the morning to let her sleep in and enjoy her coffee without me trying to talk to her.
After a couple days of honeymoon you will need to go fishing to get some rest. Lol!
Congrats!
For the OP visit the local fly shop at the Lower Mountain Fork and talk to the owner. He is or was President of the LMF fishing club.
He can guide you to what lure will work best on the river and the current regulations for barbless hooks.
I looked around a bit and didn’t find any specific reg on that. Some say bend it over with pliars and I’ve heard some say it has to be ground off so it’s smooth. I don’t know but that fly shop will and will likely have legal lures in stock.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies all and congrats on the Wedding HoLeChit. I just got off the phone with Mepps and they do offer a lot of their spinners in barbless hooks. I have ordered some and will have them by the time I leave at the end of the month. I have not seen anything in the regs that prohibit treble hooks, so I ordered both single and trebble hooks in a barbless state. Dennis, I will check out the local shop, but would rather be prepared because my fishing will be early before the family wakes up and I want to be ready to go the first thing in the morning after arrival.
Looking forward to your update HoLe next week. Congrats again on Wedding and have fun!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know for Paddle fish snagging the hooks need to be barbless and in the regs it states.
Read below.

When snagging for paddlefish, anglers are allowed only one single hook or one treble hook. All hooks must have barbs removed or completely closed. When landing a paddlefish, it is illegal to use gaff hooks or any technique or device that injures the fish, unless the angler is bowfishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom