lowers are easy, an ar uppers should be, but....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my barrel is not timed correctly cause the gas tube drags on the bolt. I haven't shot it, but it is not smooth, so figure there is something out of alignment. Damn thing is stroking my adhd so bad I can't mess with it. Can anyone help me? cheap, free, for ammo, for the hell of it. whatcha need to fix a bro up?

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you built this upper yourself then I would guess the barrel nut isn't quite lined up right. The ones I have built I just adjusted it until there was no drag on anything. Hope this helps a little.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is some "play" where your gas tube enters the upper receiver, it can get cocked to one side and make it difficult for the bcg to engage it properly, sounds like all you need to do is back off your barrel but and move your barrel slightly and retorque, then check for engagement, gets easier as you go

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing to check is make sure your gas block is lined up properly on the hole, I always secure my gas block before I attach my barrels to my uppers, if you can blow through it freely and its centered you are in good shape

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Brownell Barrel Nut alignment tool that go's from the Nut to the Carrier Key
OR....find a steel rod 5 1/2 X .187 or close and make one.
You are welcome to come by and use it, I live on the North side of Moore.
PM me if interested.....

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my barrel is not timed correctly cause the gas tube drags on the bolt. I haven't shot it, but it is not smooth, so figure there is something out of alignment. Damn thing is stroking my adhd so bad I can't mess with it. Can anyone help me? cheap, free, for ammo, for the hell of it. whatcha need to fix a bro up?

I live in Yukon and have built a few. I can look it over sometime if you want.

AR Addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to bend a little on the gas tube to get lined up straight with the gas key on the BCG (if the gas block and barrel nut look good). Take the Bolt out of the BCG and put in the upper watching and feeling for dragging on the gas tube. I had to do just a little tweaking on my last build.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to bend a little on the gas tube to get lined up straight with the gas key on the BCG (if the gas block and barrel nut look good). Take the Bolt out of the BCG and put in the upper watching and feeling for dragging on the gas tube. I had to do just a little tweaking on my last build.
I've NEVER had to do that

Latest posts

Top Bottom