Lowes Food Grade 5 gallon buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarge25

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this has been posted previously disregard...For those who may not know, Lowes carries food grade 5 gallon buckets with lids that seal. I was surprised to find them there and the price was pretty reasonable.

Sarge25

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am actually not sure. I was walking up to check out and saw them at the front of the store with all of the other buckets. They were in stacks among various sizes of buckets and have a label on them saying they are food grade . The lids are the ones with a rubber gasket and a plastic band that must be torn off to open once they are snapped closed. A little under $5.00 for a bucket and lid. Next time I am there I can see what section exactly.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and his wife use them; they buy wheat from a farmer in Texas each year, then store it in the Lowes buckets. The grain seems to store quite well in them, and the mice can't get into them (something that can't be said for the mill sacks).

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buckets made with HDPE 2 plastic are all considered food grade containers. The 5 gal buckets at Lowe's and Home Depot are made out of HDPE 2, just look at the bottom label, so they're all food grade. The white buckets Lowe's calls 'food grade' are more expensive for no particular reason, except the white lids for them do have rubber seals, whereas the blue and silver ones don't. For a lot less money you can buy the Home Depot orange buckets and use their lid which has the rubber seal. Also, buckets are normally carried in the paint department, and if anyone is interested, Home Depot also carries 'Gamma Seal Lids' again in the paint department.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^ just check for the HDPE 2 label and get the cheapest. The seal on the lid is the important part. Alternative is to put mylar or plastic bag in the bag, fill and remove as much air as possible, add moisture absorbant for long storage, seal bag, put on lid and LABEL it.

RatTerrier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^ just check for the HDPE 2 label and get the cheapest. The seal on the lid is the important part. Alternative is to put mylar or plastic bag in the bag, fill and remove as much air as possible, add moisture absorbant for long storage, seal bag, put on lid and LABEL it.

If you have a vacuum seal a meal thing you could put sealed up bags in the bucket. You'd lose some of the overal capacity of the bucket but the beans/rice/whatever would be vacuum sealed in the food grade bucket so that should help it last longer/keep it moisture free....just a thought.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few dimes less than $3 at Lowes for the bucket. Don't know how much the lids are. Probably another dollar or two. Here in Norman they're bright blue and stacked on isle ends in several different places plus the paint isle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom