LR 308 rifle smoothing out recoil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would look into the way heavy tactical (308s) are set up for 3-gun competition. They demand the lightest, flattest recoiling rifles for competition. I have shot several of these rifles and most recoil like a 243 and it is very easy to watch you bullets impact the targets.... Or you could totally gain weight as Pistol Polisher stated.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For an AR, I'd recommend a JP compensator (JP Rifles) and recoil spring (JP Rifles) or another brand of captured spring setup (there are cheaper options, but none that run quite as well).

For precision bolt action rifles I like the Ace brakes and the Area 419 offerings for muzzle devices.

There are only so many ways to flatten out recoil of an AR. BCG and buffer mass/spring, gas system (adjustable/tuneable), barrel weight/profile, and muzzle device.

WorksEveryTime

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use H335 in more caliber loadings than anything else, the good thing is it's usually always available. Tac will usually give you higher velocities. What bullet weight are you using?
For 308win, I use between 150 and 180gr right now. I was also looking for versatility with other calibers and noticed some have attempted 7.62 x 39 123gr with some success on H335, so I'm looking at that also.

Ever used Accurate 2015 for either?

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i didn't read all the discussion.
Have you tried a heavier buffer?

i had to use a Slashes Heavy buffer In a couple of mine.

pretty sure I have brakes on most all of mine and even with plugs and muffs, if you are not directly behind the gun it will concuss you.

also, while I am thinking of it, as for an adjustable gas key isn't the gas still getting to the BCG?
that is what is driving the mass(BCG) and turning it into recoil.
if it were me, i'd look into cutting the gas before it gets to the BCG.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i didn't read all the discussion.
Have you tried a heavier buffer?

i had to use a Slashes Heavy buffer In a couple of mine.

pretty sure I have brakes on most all of mine and even with plugs and muffs, if you are not directly behind the gun it will concuss you.

also, while I am thinking of it, as for an adjustable gas key isn't the gas still getting to the BCG?
that is what is driving the mass(BCG) and turning it into recoil.
if it were me, i'd look into cutting the gas before it gets to the BCG.

Thanks for the input. I haven’t messed with it in a while. Haven’t installed the gas adjustable gas key yet either. Work and sleep eat up my time.

The main reason I will not be going with an adjustable gas block is because my gas block has its front sight built into it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom