Lube removal from cast lead bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is so I can powder coat them.

Some of you guys may be like me and make a lot of bullets and stick them in a container to use for later.
Well I got 2000+ loaded rounds of 45acp and about 20 more pounds of lead bullets I lubed with Alox and some with a mix of Alox and Johnson paste wax(JPW).

The JPW and Alox mix could not be sent as fast as it leaded the barrel more than just Alox lubed bullets.

Then I got into powder coating.
Yep I needed to remove some lubes from a lot of cast bullets.

You guys have probably already done it but here is what works for me.

Get a bucket and pour enough lubed bullets into it to cover the bottom and add that much more.. 2 layers deep basically.
Pour in some Lacquer thinner.
Get the parts cleaning brush and begin brushing and swirling the bullets around in the bucket.
The thinner will become darker and darker.

After a couple minutes of mixing and brushing pour the thinner out and add some fresh clean thinner.. Swirl and brush again.. Thinner should be barely tinted.
You could dump that out and go for 3 rounds.

2 was plenty for mine.
I scooped them out of the thinner and placed on a paper towel on garage floor to dry.

Pour in some more bullets into the slightly tinted thinner.
Begin again.

Now I can powder coat them once dry.

Remember reading on heating the bullets before powder coating.
I decided to use my garage hair dryer and heat the already dry bullets before they went into the powder coat.
They coated just fine ... Just like lube was never on them.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wonder if gasoline would work?

It's cheaper than lacquer thinner, but you'd have to make sure the fumes don't get near a flame.

Lacquer thinner is also somewhat volatile, but not near as much.

Meh, just a thought. :drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gasoline should work fine.
Just no diesel fuel or 2 stroke mix as we are trying to remove lube.

I do not like the stickiness of the lubed bullets.
I hunt a lot and is the thick stuff and sandy dirty areas. My pockets have bark and sand and tree dust in them after a deer hunt.
The bullets being sticky is just something I do not care for.

If I was just plinking steel or shooting holes in paper from a bench I would not care as much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boiling them in straight water does an excellent job also, the lube floats and the lead stays on the bottom.
Back in the day, I used to load .45 ACP with paraffin bullets using primer only for propellent(brass modified to take a 209 shotgun primer) with indoor target practice or the occasional stray dog when living in town for a short period. Very quiet and it will get their attention.
Removed the wax from the barrel and brass by boiling in water. Quick application of WD-40 to remove the moisture, and wipe down with a good gun oil afterward.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, I used to load .45 ACP with paraffin bullets using primer only

I have used Glue sticks in 45acp they shoot well with primer only.
I then got a wild idea to pump the glue from the glue gun into my 45 mold. It made a perfect bullet.
I use crayons in 357 revolver with paper still on them i stick one into the case and break it off.

Perfect fit and primer only.
I had lots of leftover crayons after the kids grew up moved out.

I stood up a cardboard box opening facing me and a red rag in front.. hit the rag with the projectile and it will be in the box for later use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom