Lucky or not lucky???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a group of 8-12 of us that hunt in Colorado, Unit 66 and we have been going since 2000 or so. It is in Hinsdale County (Lake City) and it is a limited draw controlled area and one of the most highly coveted areas to hunt in Colorado. I drew a tag for the 2009 Mule Deer buck season which is one of the hardest tags to get. It took me seven preference points to get drawn. 3 hours (yes HOURS) before I was supposed to leave, I broke my ankle kicking in a door on a search warrant at a meth lab. That is another story that I won't bore anyone with here. Anyway, I still managed to make the hunt and I and bagged this guy opening morning. Check out the walking boot and camo crutches. (I was bored and had a roll of camo duct tape, don't judge me!!!)

Fast forward to now. On May 5th, I severely tore a rotator cuff fighting some random drunk guy. He went to jail and I went to the hospital. I had surgery last week and I'm facing a painful and lengthy rehab 4-6 months in length. Do the math in 3......2........1.........

I have been putting in for a mule deer buck tag regularly for the last 8 years, knowing residents need 9+ points to get drawn and non-residents need 12-13 points to get drawn for Unit 66. I have been cool with not getting drawn because to tell the truth, I'd rather sleep late, go get a cup of coffee in the local mountain coffee shop and then go fishing. I'm kind of the camp joke because I tell everyone that nothing spoil a good fishing trip like hunting. Well, I open my e-mail this morning and guess what?? I got drawn for mule deer buck...

033.JPG

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Better take a leave of absence until the day of the hunt, and stay home the whole time, encased in bubble wrap.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of all the dumb luck!!!

And good luck!!!

Well... so what are you going to do now? I would hate to see you miss a trip like this, but your health comes first! Maybe you will heal faster than anticipated, get some muscle built up around the injured shoulder and still make the hunt...

Worse case scenario, go catch some trout and tell your buddies you will handcuff them to a tree if they give you a hard time...

At the very least, I can put you on our prayer list...

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the dumb luck!!!

And good luck!!!

Well... so what are you going to do now? I would hate to see you miss a trip like this, but your health comes first! Maybe you will heal faster than anticipated, get some muscle built up around the injured shoulder and still make the hunt...

Worse case scenario, go catch some trout and tell your buddies you will handcuff them to a tree if they give you a hard time...

At the very least, I can put you on our prayer list...
Thanks! Plan A is to fast track rehab and go! If you can't tell by now, I'm kinda hard headed. Plan B: I have until 30 days prior to the hunt at which time I can surrender the tag back. I will lose my $400 tag fee but get to keep my accumulated points. That's a no brainier. At least I have some time to see how rehab is going. And buy bubble wrap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom