Lure maintenance, opinions wanted!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody here has opinions, do they? Anywho...

I ran across a box of old poppers, cranks, and swim baits at a small pawn shop. A bunch of baits, and the price seems right. However, there is a LOT of rust in the box. Rusted hooks, and rust dust on the bodies of the lures. Question: Is it worth (any amount) to pick them up and give them a good soaking with WD40 and 3-in-1? Or am I going to have to replace a bunch off treble hooks? Probably easily 30-40 hard lures and a bunch of unused grubs for $25. Thanks in advance!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll want to replace most if not all of the hooks because the rust will dull the points and weaken the metal where they'll bend or break more easily. Some of the rust staining the bodies will not soak or rub off, but that's more of a cosmetic appearance issue than detriment to catching fish. You can always repaint them if you like though.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Is it possible to sharpen a hook after you've worked the rust off of it?
Yes, assuming the rust was just surface rust and didn't penetrate too deeply.

Be advised that some older "vintage" hard baits can bring a premium on the collector's market, so I'd research before reconditioning!

Latest posts

Top Bottom