Luth-AR carbine vs PSA midlength

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have one of each that had never been fired, other than at the factory, before I got to try them out this weekend.

I was surprised to find that the PSA midlength had about twice as much felt recoil as the Luth-AR carbine shooting the same ammo. They both have carbine buffers.

I suspect that the PSA upper is way over gassed and I'm thinking of trying out a H3 buffer to tame it down a little. An adjustable gas block should help but I will try the heavier buffer first.

The Luth-AR upper paired with a complete lower I had sitting around unused, that I installed a Rise Armament RA-140 trigger in, made for a nice combination and the best shooting AR I have tried yet.

I was very pleased with that setup along with the addition of a Vortex Spitfire 1x prism scope to top it off.

I only tried 55gr FMJ through both rifles so I will need to see how the 1:9 carbine barrel on the Luth will handle the heavier bullets that the 1:7 midlength barrel on the PSA is designed for.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow mouth breathers attack! He is saying that there is something better than PSA!

Kidding aside PSA uppers are overgased. I have heard its to assure reliability in all shooting environments a shooter may find themselves in. Be it indoor range, outdoor range, standing, or bench. I think that covers all environments and conditions PSA is shot from.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Fellow mouth breathers attack! He is saying that there is something better than PSA!

Kidding aside PSA uppers are overgased. I have heard its to assure reliability in all shooting environments a shooter may find themselves in. Be it indoor range, outdoor range, standing, or bench. I think that covers all environments and conditions PSA is shot from.
I knew they were overgassed for reliability but I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom