Lyman Brass Smith powder measure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got the Lyman Brass Smith powder measure and boy am I happy!

For years, I have been using the Lee perfect powder measure and it worked fine for most things like Bullseye, Trail Boss and Varget. It's very consistent with these powders but when I try to meter H110/W296, 300-MP or Leverevolution, it leaks horribly. In order to use the Lee PPM with these powders, I have to tighten the drum so much that dispensing is a chore; and it still leaks. If you have the PPM, you know what I'm talking about.
This caused me to just not load much with these powders.

I saw the new little Lyman and with the $60 price I decided to go for it. With some bullets I picked up in trade today, I loaded up some 357 Mag rounds with 300-MP and wow am I impressed. So smooth. So clean, and consistent. Got it set for 18 grains and after 80 rounds I checked again and it was right on the money. This thing is awesome.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you can't post a thread like this without pictures! Now I gotta go google this brass smith. I am familiar with the ppm.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the product I picked up at H&H.
Lyman brass smith.jpg

Here it is mounted to my Lee press with the Hornady 8th behind it for scale.
Lyman brasssmith scale.jpg

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own the Lyman Brass Smith powder measure and it is an excellent PM. Instead of funnel set I use a Lee Rifle Powder Charging Die in a press and like that method. I weigh every rifle charge.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you with this Lyman powder measure i would like to know how accurate is it with stick powder like varget or 4064.
I have not found any powder measure yet that will drop exactly the same load to the tenth and when cutting the powder i have had errors of up to 4 tenth swings.

I also weigh all my loads on a 505.
The powder measures get me close but not close enough for target loads.
What is your take on this.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you with this Lyman powder measure i would like to know how accurate is it with stick powder like varget or 4064.
I have not found any powder measure yet that will drop exactly the same load to the tenth and when cutting the powder i have had errors of up to 4 tenth swings.

I also weigh all my loads on a 505.
The powder measures get me close but not close enough for target loads.
What is your take on this.

I have yet to find a powder measure that will drop 10 drops that are all EXACTLY the same Regardless of the powder. That is why I make drops that are about .3-.5 grains short of my target load and then use a trickler to complete the drop.I weigh every drop and also weigh each bullet. In a box of 100 bullets I usually find about 10 -15 bullets that weigh as much as .8 grains difference from the stated weight on the box. That also will hurt accuracy. [Example 143 grain ELD-X 6.5 I will find a spread of 142.5-143.3 ] I cull the bullets and save them for a different batch of loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found the same thing with rifle powders nothing would drop on the money.
SO instead of the big bulky powder dispenser and setting it to throw below the charge weight I want I use Lee Dippers.
Those do the same thing and are quicker for me.
My old Lee auto disc powder measure will drop Bullseye right on the tenth every time for my 357 magnum and 45acp loads.
I did build a baffle for it and made the clearances tighter so it does not leak.

I measured over 50 drops and just quit measuring because it was that good.
That is the only thing I found that plays nice though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom