M-1 Carbine help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help me determine the pedigree (or the hybridization) of my M-1 Carbine?

- Barrel is marked "Inland MFG. Div" , 5-44
-- Also has a "Blue Sky Arlington, VA" mark
-- Has a bayonet lug

- Serial number and manufacturer's name are obscured by the adjustable sight but the following is readable:
-- S/N "2065664" the "5" may be in correct
-- Manufacturer's name starts with ST several hidden character then a D, I believe that it is a STD-PROD name but can't be sure.

- Adjustable sight is marked IR CO (international Register?)

- Stock looks better than most 6-7 decade old stocks and is unmarked so I am assuming that it is a replacement but how can I be certain?

- This carbine also has a metal heat shield which I have gathered likely confirms that the stock is a replacement.

What can anyone tell me and/or what else should I be looking for?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bayonet lug is a tip-off that the Carbine saw an arsenal rebuild post-WW2, likewise the adjustable rear sight that not by design obscures the maker's stamp and SN.

Blue Sky was well-known as an importer of Carbines from other countries that bought (or otherwise acquired) Carbines in the post-war years (as opposed to MAP returns via the DCM/CMP).

Look at the side profile of the stock. Does the underside, forward of the magazine well, have a slight belly to it? If so, it's a M2 stock and another indication of a post-WW2 rebuild. The wartime stocks would have a flat belly from the magazine well all the way to the front. You can try looking for a maker's mark in the sling cut-out on the left-hand side, though it may be hard to see if present.

The heat shield is a commercial piece added by an owner. Fortunately you don't have a Universal Carbine, which was a problematic commercial venture to produce Carbines for the consumer market. Those often had the heat shield; in your case, a previous owner thought the shield looked cool, so it was installed.

Pics would be good! :)

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct that the receiver is a Standard Products...a mid-1943 production receiver. As Todd previously noted, the handguard is a commercial (not USGI) piece and the rifle has several traits that tell us that it underwent arsenal rebuild post-war. Adjustable rear sights are not always indicative of a post-war rebuild as there are some late production guns that an adjustable sight is original and correct for.

IMHO, it sounds like you're looking at a shooter grade rifle with little collector value. $600-$650 is top dollar in most circles for import marked carbines (unless rare or desireable). Blue Sky imports typically are on the less desireable end of imports, due to the size of the import marks and horror stories of ruined barrels as a result of overly aggressive stamping of the importation info. If the condition of the rifle checks out $550-$575 is likely a fair purchase price.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the Blue Sky M-1, paid $90 for it 25ish years ago; General Motors; stock looks new. At the range, a gentleman told me the best I could get was 1 “ groups at 100 yards, firearm shoots better than I do!