M&P 15-22 Furniture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I finally had time to put the new handguard and grip on my 15-22. I also ordered some of that rubber grip tape that people normally use on their pistol grips, but I used it on my 15-22 magazines and love the look of it. The handguard didn't fit flush with the receiver 100%, so I'll have to break out the dremel and make some minor modifications to my upper so that it will fit closer to the receiver. But other than that, I love the way it looks.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Sure thing beardking. I got both on eBay. I always do a TON of homework before I buy gun stuff on eBay or Amazon. The reviews on both products were really good, and I also left very good reviews on both products. I am very pleased with both.

The grip is a JTM grip and was only $10.95 (free shipping). Don't be fooled by the low price. The quality is surprisingly good, and the grip allows for proper finger placement on the trigger, which I love: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JTM-Sports-...383649?hash=item4d3d8192a1:g:tjsAAOSwZG9WhmJs

The hand guard is a "Gen 3 12" MLOK Ultra Slim, Ultra Light Rail" — it's some kind of generic unbranded hand guard, and was $55.99 (free shipping): Gen 3! 12" MLOK Ultra Slim Super Slim UltraLight Rail Handguard mlock m lok RPR

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of special ritual do you have to go through to use an aftermarket hand guard on the M&P 15-22?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of special ritual do you have to go through to use an aftermarket hand guard on the M&P 15-22?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Beardking,

You need a special tool in order to remove the stock barrel nut, and you will also need a barrel vise. Tacticool22.com sells a kit that has everything that you need here, and it is $79: https://www.tacticool22.com/product/free-float-handguard-kit-sw-mp15-22-modified-4-piece/

**IMPORTANT: DO NOT attempt to do this without the barrel vise. You cannot clamp the receiver or the handguard and try to remove the flash hider or the barrel nut. You can easily screw up your rifle by twisting the barrel inside the receiver housing, and it will become misaligned and unusable. You have to clamp the barrel in a barrel vise

Or, you can save $25 - $30 and get it on Amazon (still from Tacticool22). In total, I paid (with shipping) $55.51. This is where I got mine....

1. Barrel vise and barrel nut wrench (pro).
2. Free-float handguard converter nut + wrench (different from barrel nut wrench)

This is the YouTube video that I watched before I did my conversion. It's a pretty simple process really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6lEcjpSeWg
If you live in the Tulsa area, we can meet up and I'll help you swap out your handguard so you don't have to buy the kit from Tacticool22. That will save you some money and help you get a nice handguard. Send me a private message if you want to do that.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, really? I've read on other forums where people REALLY screwed up their upper receiver just trying to get the flash hider off of their M&P 15-22 because they put their upper or lower receiver in the vise and started cranking on the end of the muzzle with a pipe wrench. Yikes! Always crimp the barrel.

What I did was cut a big piece off of the chamois that I use to dry my car, and I get it wet so that it is really soft, and then I wrap that around my barrel so it won't slip or get scratched up when I put it in the barrel vise. Leather works really well, too. I've heard some people using a leather belt to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom