M&P 2.0 Performance Center Shield Plus 4"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on the S&W M&P Performance Center Shield Plus 4 inch bbl.. I've really got the itch for one of these. Just wondering how people like, or dislike, them. Pro's and con's in other words. I have an older full size M&P 9 with an Apex trigger and some extra factory 17 round magazines. I'd more than likely sell it if I decide to buy this new gun. I'm wanting all the bells and whistel's. The 13253 with the ported barrel and slide, the new trigger, the Crimson Trace red dot sight and the 13 round magazine. I'm going to go with no thumb safety because they're probably not easy to find and I really don't like the Shield thumb safety. I do like the ambi safety on my 2.0 3.5" 40 caliber though.

shield.JPG

Last edited:

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and did it. About $842.00 out the door (so to speak). Looking forward to getting this one.
Still haven't made a decision as to whether or not to sell my old M&P9. Not in any hurry and might just hang on to it.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also this will be my first red dot. I'm just an old iron sight guy but I'm ready to try something new.
So I'm going in eyes wide open on this.

Last edited:

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So does anyone know the size of the bit needed to remove what appears to be a Torx head screw that holds the cover plate on the slide of this pistol. The gun comes with 2 hex head screws to attach the CTS-1500 red dot sight to the slide. It has 3 allen wrenches. One wrench fits the head of that screw perfectly. the other 2 are really small and don't fit anything that I know of. The problem is I can't remove the cover because of all the torx bits I have none of them are small enough. The smallest I have is a 10 and it's too big. None of the local hardware stores have anything smaller either. I even spoke to Smith & Wesson and they said they would send me one. When I explained that it was a torx or star head on the screws he said "Yeah, they may have used that kind on some of them". I asked why they would not just use the same head as the ones provided for the red dot itself. He had no answer for that. Anyway he took my name and address and said he was sending me something. I'm not really sure what he's sending because it didn't sound as if he knew the size either.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So does anyone know the size of the bit needed to remove what appears to be a Torx head screw that holds the cover plate on the slide of this pistol. The gun comes with 2 hex head screws to attach the CTS-1500 red dot sight to the slide. It has 3 allen wrenches. One wrench fits the head of that screw perfectly. the other 2 are really small and don't fit anything that I know of. The problem is I can't remove the cover because of all the torx bits I have none of them are small enough. The smallest I have is a 10 and it's too big. None of the local hardware stores have anything smaller either. I even spoke to Smith & Wesson and they said they would send me one. When I explained that it was a torx or star head on the screws he said "Yeah, they may have used that kind on some of them". I asked why they would not just use the same head as the ones provided for the red dot itself. He had no answer for that. Anyway he took my name and address and said he was sending me something. I'm not really sure what he's sending because it didn't sound as if he knew the size either.
So I overnighted a set of Torx screwdrivers from Amazon. It has size 3 through 10. I knew it wasn't a 10 so I tried a 9 and an 8. The 8 seemed like the closest one but no dice. These screws ain't budging and I'm afraid I'm rounding the heads off. I don't know if they are lock tighted in or what. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I don't know whether to take it to a local gunsmith or to send it back to Smith. I realize back to the factory for a brand new under warranty gun seems like the obvious thing to do. I'm waiting to see what they send me. Any suggestions?

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I overnighted a set of Torx screwdrivers from Amazon. It has size 3 through 10. I knew it wasn't a 10 so I tried a 9 and an 8. The 8 seemed like the closest one but no dice. These screws ain't budging and I'm afraid I'm rounding the heads off. I don't know if they are lock tighted in or what. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I don't know whether to take it to a local gunsmith or to send it back to Smith. I realize back to the factory for a brand new under warranty gun seems like the obvious thing to do. I'm waiting to see what they send me. Any suggestions?
Try heating up the screws with a soldering iron first, it will melt the loctite. Just takes a few minutes if it's going to work.