M&P 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmac3304

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG IMG_3339.JPG IMG_3341.JPG
Well, I picked up my M2.0 on Friday the 6th and took it to the range on Sunday the 8th. I will start by saying that yes, I stripped, cleaned, lubed and inspected the firearm as I do with all new weapons. While shooting, For the first two magazines, I had malfunctions almost every 2 rounds. I reloaded the mags again, and tried to push a few more through the firearm. FTF, Stovepipes, double feeds, you name it. I probably put close to 100 rounds through it trying to get things going in the weapon, but still could not get a full mag through the pistol without a malfunction. Not to mention, the grip is very aggressive which I liked while holding. After I shot those 100 rounds, my left hand felt so aggravated it was difficult to even hold the weapon. This also could have been caused by charging the weapon so often as well. The ammo I tried were all reloads and some Sig carry 147 HP. The reloads are just plinking plated 115. I will say I have had no other issues with these reloads in any other pistol I have. Sig 320, M&P Shied....etc. I will give it one more good cleaning, and one more range outing to see if maybe something was left in the pistol. Just thought I would give a heads up and see if anyone else has purchased one and has had any issues.
Thanks

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I hate that for you. Those are, in my opinion, gorgeous guns. I sure hope you get this thing lined out asap. Those M&P have so many parts in them I wouldnt even know where to start. Although thats Smiths problem, not yours.

tmac3304

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
These don't need break in, they should run right from the get go. Try it again with decent brass cased factory ammunition. If it has even one single bobble call S&W and tell them to send you a shipping label.
That is the plan. Im going to buy about 50 rounds, shoot it and if I have a single malfunction, then its being sent in and probably sold. I have never had a new weapon with this many issues which makes me worry.

tmac3304

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I hate that for you. Those are, in my opinion, gorgeous guns. I sure hope you get this thing lined out asap. Those M&P have so many parts in them I wouldnt even know where to start. Although thats Smiths problem, not yours.
I am with you on the looks. When I first saw them, I waited for it so I could get my hands on one. I really didn't care what upgrades and such were put on the trigger and everything else as I plan on putting an apex trigger on it anyway. But, the performance of the gun has me very worried. I am hoping that another cleaning, maybe even a sonic bath or something like that can get whatever is in this gun out of it. It is just one of those things I have never had to do with any other.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So far I have heard of one other person having problems like yours on another forum, but he didn't clean his new gun.

I have heard of others that theirs ran fine out of the box. I hope these aren't lemons because I'm wanting one of the 5" FDE 9mm versions without the thumb safety.

Are you happy with the fit and finish of the 2.0?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I ever had to really do with a M&P is put a drop of oil on the barrel after cleaning and lubing the rails to make it run right especially with a new one. Not much touching there but that one drop kept them running smooth. Try it and see if that helps before the next set as well. But I agree with factory loads it should run perfect. Honestly sounds like it's just very tight on tolerances.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These don't need break in, they should run right from the get go. Try it again with decent brass cased factory ammunition. If it has even one single bobble call S&W and tell them to send you a shipping label.
Agreed. I've read that S&W may have tightened tolerances on the 2.0 to improve accuracy, but don't know if that's true.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with you on the looks. When I first saw them, I waited for it so I could get my hands on one. I really didn't care what upgrades and such were put on the trigger and everything else as I plan on putting an apex trigger on it anyway. But, the performance of the gun has me very worried. I am hoping that another cleaning, maybe even a sonic bath or something like that can get whatever is in this gun out of it. It is just one of those things I have never had to do with any other.

I do imagine it would be hard to ever trust a gun that starts out like that even if Smith fixes it. It would take a lot of rounds after its fixed to trust it.

tmac3304

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far I have heard of one other person having problems like yours on another forum, but he didn't clean his new gun.

I have heard of others that theirs ran fine out of the box. I hope these aren't lemons because I'm wanting one of the 5" FDE 9mm versions without the thumb safety.

Are you happy with the fit and finish of the 2.0?
The fit and finish of the pistol are perfect and honestly still looks amazing. Im really wanting to love the pistol and I am going to try anything I can to get that thing running smoothly. But, I am still very shy with it now so it will take some convincing. The good news with this pistol, however is that it was going to be purely a target weapon and nothing more. I will not be putting my life on the line with this pistol. I will probably be doing something with the grip texture as well. If nothing else than taking a file to it to remove a little of the bite from the grip as it does get very uncomfortable after shooting.