M&P offers new Military pistol in .40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
read:http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/article/Report-Smith-Wesson-finds-partner-for-US-6871507.php

U.S. gunmaker Smith & Wesson is hoping one of its handguns becomes the go-to sidearm for American military men and women.

Army-Technology.com reports the company has entered into a "strategic partnership" with General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems in their effort to construct America's next-generation military handgun. The idea is that General Dynamics will help provide the manufacturing model needed to supply the military with pistols.

The competition, also called the U.S. Army's XM17 Modular Handgun System Program, is intended to find a replacement for the Beretta M9. The pistol replaced the old M1911 in the '80s, but it has been the subject of criticism for many years. Operators pointed out the pistol did not have enough stopping power and there were concerns regarding its durability.

Though Beretta offered the M9A3 as a replacement for the weapon, the Army opted to simply start a new competition. A number of gun manufacturers, both foreign and national, have submitted entries.

At the moment, Smith & Wesson has already submitted a variant of its M&P Polymer Pistol for the competition. The weapon is already in use by multiple U.S. federal departments and local law enforcement agencies. This particular version is reported to have a reinforced polymer chassis and ambidextrous controls.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think one of the problems that a lot of manufacturer's had early on is that the army specified a minimum that was just slightly over 4.25 inches. I think maybe one or two manufacturers had a standard production pistol over that length that was submitted and it was a miniscule amount over that length though for the life of me I can't remember exactly what it was right now. Though they probably would have been better off submitting something like the 5 inch pro variant.

I would however enjoy seeing a US company win the competition to get some more jobs and money staying at home than to ship them overseas. It would also likely increase the number of modifications out there for the platform.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...s-mhs-red-tape-wants-power-select-new-pistol/

The Army Chief of Staff General Mark Milley spoke yesterday at the Future of War Conference, and criticized the Modular Handgun System program for the degree of bureaucracy and red tape it takes for the Pentagon to select a new pistol for the Army. Milley rightly pointed out that not only are handguns hardly the forefront weapons of modern battle, but that they are a very mature technology, so selecting a new one should be very straightforward and inexpensive. From Military.com:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me that of the pistols in the competition only the SIG P320 actually meets the specifications. They've apparently started manufacturing their own ammo as well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...s-mhs-red-tape-wants-power-select-new-pistol/

The Army Chief of Staff General Mark Milley spoke yesterday at the Future of War Conference, and criticized the Modular Handgun System program for the degree of bureaucracy and red tape it takes for the Pentagon to select a new pistol for the Army. Milley rightly pointed out that not only are handguns hardly the forefront weapons of modern battle, but that they are a very mature technology, so selecting a new one should be very straightforward and inexpensive. From Military.com:

Excellent officer that one...

The program has a “367-page requirement document. Why?” Milley asked. “Well, a lawyer says this and a lawyer says that and you have to go through this process and that process and you have to have oversight from this that and the other.”

Milley also criticized the lengthy testing process for MHS that’s slated to cost $17 million.

“The testing - I got a briefing the other day - the testing for this pistol is two years,” Milley said. “Two years to test technology that we know exists. You give me $17 million on the credit card, I’ll call Cabelas tonight, and I’ll outfit every soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine with a pistol and I’ll get a discount on it for bulk buys.”

This is a textbook example of the bureaucracy that is our Pentagon.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part about calling Cabella's is hilarious! I wonder how many points he would get on his card.... I think S&W will get the contract after reading the RFP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom