M&p vs Glock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old Lite beer commercials. Two opposing views. "LESS FILLING" while the other camp yelled back, "TASTES GREAT"

I was cursed with short fingers so the Glock is out for me. I cant shoot the Glock nearly as good as I can the M&P. That goes ergonomically as well. Just dont care for the glock

Mechanically, both are about the same. Material and manufacture wise, the Glock is superior (Slide and Barrel), not that the M&P wont hold up to a lot of shooting. The Glock will hold up to A FREAKIN LOT of shooting

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 Glocks and 1 M&P. Why S&W doesn't make the schematics/parts diagrams readily available is the thing I don't like. I can't detail strip the M&P for maintenance or cleaning like I can my Glocks. I can't even do something simple like replace an extractor or a firing pin. Grip angle, dingle dangle; I don't get it. It just doesn't bother me. But, as several astute members have pointed out, it all boils down to a matter of personal choice. Now excuse me, I must go ready my Gen 4 G29 and associated items for the day.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old Lite beer commercials. Two opposing views. "LESS FILLING" while the other camp yelled back, "TASTES GREAT"

I was cursed with short fingers so the Glock is out for me. I cant shoot the Glock nearly as good as I can the M&P. That goes ergonomically as well. Just dont care for the glock

Mechanically, both are about the same. Material and manufacture wise, the Glock is superior (Slide and Barrel), not that the M&P wont hold up to a lot of shooting. The Glock will hold up to A FREAKIN LOT of shooting
I seen where the m&p had a stainless slide barrel and guide rod where Glock stock doesn’t I figured this to be a plus

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taken from a Glock Forum:

“Glock advises against using lead bullets in their polygonally rifled barrels, which has led to a widespread belief that polygonal rifling is not compatible with lead bullets. Firearms expert and barrel maker, the late Gale McMillan, has also commented that lead bullets and polygonal rifling are not a good mix. Neither H&K nor Kahr explicitly recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, suggesting that there might be an additional factor involved in Glock's warning. Kahr's warns that lead bullets can cause additional fouling and recommends special attention to cleaning after their use. While H&K doesn't insist on a copper jacket, at least one well-documented catastrophic incident in an H&K pistol may be related to this issue. Furthermore, Dave Spaulding, well-known gun writer, reported in the February/March 2008 issue of Handguns Magazine that when he queried H&K about their polygonally rifled barrels that they commented: "It has been their experience that polygonal rifling will foul with lead at a greater rate than will conventional rifling."

One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

Another possible explanation is that there are different "species" of polygonal rifle and perhaps Glock's peculiar style of polygonal rifling may be more prone to leading than the particular styles employed in the H&K and Kahr barrels.”