m1a can, anyone ever had experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, so this is a summary of my days worth of internet research on mounting a suppressor on an M1A... correct me if I'm wrong guys.

The M1A is a little trickier to mount a suppressor on than other rifles because of it's oddball thread pattern. It is a shallow (not a lot to hold onto) and a non-traditional pattern (.595x32). So far, I've only explored a couple of solutions to overcome this. One is listed above, for the SEI/Fisher M14DC Suppressor ($1050 from SEI's only distributer). The Vortex DC flash hider and GLFS each cost $75 on various internet sites, for a total of $1200 + tax stamp + shipping + transfer fee.

The second option I've looked at is the AAC 762 SD Suppressor ($875 MSRP). Recently, AAC now makes a Blackout flash hider ($99) that fits directly into the "odd" threading of the M1A, however, you will lose the front sight. If you are creating a rig that needs the front sight, Delta P Design makes an M1A adapter (with the m1a castle nut) that you can put on your M1A threads for $120. This will add a front sight post and convert your M1A barrel threads (.595x32) to a deeper more conventional threading (5/8x24) you can also use to put a Blackout flash hider on. Total for this package will be $974 + tax stamp + shipping + transfer fee without the thread adapter.

From the general sentiment online, the build quality seems too be about the same with the AAC 762 SD being more proliferated. The SEI Suppressor is a little heavier weighing in at 2.08 pounds (vs 20oz) and a little longer at 11.2in (vs 8.75). The suppression level according to silencertests.com is 23.7dB supersonic and 20.2dB subsonic for the SEI Suppressor. I couldn't find an actual test for the 762 SD, but it is advertised to suppress by 27-29dB in their 2010 catalog.

There have been some POI shifts I've read with the 762 SD, but it is a consistent shift in POI, meaning you can rezero with the suppressor on and it will hold that zero. If the POI shift is too ridiculous, typically the problem is "squaring" your muzzle device with the barrel. Sometimes also, there are issues with gas blowing back into peoples' faces because of the pressure created by the suppressor. This is combated using an M1A blank firing adatper ($30, somtimes referred to as breech shield). You can also get a variable gas plug by Schuster ($47.99 on midwayusa) to adjust the amount of gas cycling your op-rod if you're worried about it. Turn the gas off and it won't cycle the bolt, making it quieter.

Maybe I'm stating a lot of well-known information, but I figured I'd summarize it for those people wondering about suppressing their M1A's like me. Looks like I'll be going for the AAC blackout/762 SD to start off my class 3 career...

[Broken External Image]

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did very much the same research as you when I was in the market, there is a lot to think about when it comes to adding a can to your M1a as you've seen.

When I did mine, Gemtech was the only manufacturer other than Smith that had an option available.

I'm extremely happy with the HVT, however I wish I would've waited a bit longer and got the new titanium version that weighs in under 18oz!

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh wow, are you referring to the Gemtech Quicksand? $1400????

How is the suppression on your HVT? Is it hearing safe? And how much did it cost?

I have the standard HVT, not the ti version. and it is very much hearing safe!

The Major treated me very well on the price, I believe I was in for under a grand including the Stamp, and mount.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_013.htm

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_334807255_88mJw_M.jpg

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I like it! What kind of scope do you use on it?

It's just the Springfield scope that came with the "Loaded" package years back...

6x40 with a BDC reticle. it seems to be an OK scope, but I'd like to put something more substantial on it!

I really dislike the Gen3 mount that came with the package and I can't decide if I want to buy a better mount like the Sadlak or similar and keep the gun looking like it was designed to look... or go balls out and buy a Troy MCS so I can use all of my AR type goodies on it..

I'm really leaning towards the later,

Latest posts

Top Bottom