M1A gas plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been searching all over trying to find if this topic has been broached but have found nothing. I’m looking at the possibility of running heavies through an M1A and don’t want to pretzel the op rod. I keep looking at the ported and adjustable gas plugs over at Midway but have zero knowledge in this area. All my trusted sources have passed on so now I’m kind of floundering. Does anyone here have experience that they could pass my way to keep me from doing something butt ignernt. That’s the only thing I can assuredly pull off unsupervised is something stupid.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The m1a is not like an M1 garand- where a load hotter than it was built for, the M14 ( m1a is civ version) design is ‘ self regulating’- meaning there is a port that vents all excess gas once it has pushed it far enough to cycle the action- so you should never need to worry about bent op rods, as can happen with the older design.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you to both of you, Wolfkpr and Cowadle.
I haven’t been to the CMP forums in forever. That place is like sipping from the discharge side of a ditch pump.

One thing I did pick up on a quick pass, the GI barrel is a 1:12 which (IMO) may not stabilize 175 or 180gr projectiles. Just have to play around and find out. Wouldn’t be the first time I was full of it.

The other thing is, all my repressed memories of letting a knothead talk me out of my Polytech years ago came flooding back and now I think I need a therapist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom