M34 Tactical (ARMT) Assault Rifle Multi-tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty cool looking:

http://milspecmonkey.com/equipment-page/tools/351-m34-tactical-armt-assault-rifle-multi-tool

amilspecmonkey.com_tools_m34tac_armt_001.jpg

amilspecmonkey.com_tools_m34tac_armt_002.jpg

Those on the hunt to find a compact AR tool package may find interest in this tool from M34 Tactical. The ARMT (Assault Rifle Multi-tool) finds a balance of adding quite a few tool functionalities while still offering a nice grip that is uncommon in similar type tools. Offhand my favorite ability is being able to adjust the castle nut (that wacky ring securing the buffer tube) without it being a large tool. It won't be as easy as a armor's tool made just to rock castle nuts all day long, however the ARMT is a lot smaller. The same notch area can be used to adjust flash suppressors just keep in mind you will need additional tools to get the security pin/screw out. On that note, 3 Allen key sizes are available sticking out from different parts of the tool (sizes 7/64, 9/64, 1/8). I inquired why the small one for flash suppressors was not included and was told it would be so small it would be a snap hazard while increasing tool cost significantly. The 3 offered sizes are common ones, but due to many accessories using wacky tools/sizes, always be prepared to need to carry additional tools. It is a bummer to have something missing on a multi-tool you need, yet you gotta keep in mind if everything was on the ARMT it would look like a huge porcupine of metal.

A beefy flat head screw driver is formed on one end offering many uses. The thick depth (about 1.5mm) fits the robust theme of the tool design and will work great on optics that use big ol' screws. Although still usable, the thickness makes it harder to use on the other suggested actions such as removing pieces from the bolt carrier for cleaning. If things are getting extra funky in there, the size allows the flat head to be used as a carbon scraper. For additional functionality, 2 bit tools are included that fit in a supplied slot (#2 Phillips and SQ2 hex bit); don't let that stop you from swaping them out if others suit your needs better. I'll admit I wasn't super jazzed to see the bits held in the tool by bands, however in practice they do work out pretty well. The bits lay nicely inside the ARMT to keeps things slim and I can shake the tool without any noise. In the past I've seen other tools supply an external bit carrier which tends to be quite easy to lose as it doesn't connect to the main tool. That said, there is nothing wrong with carrying an extra little bit holder to expand your tool capability with the ARMT. For my particular sample tool, I was only able to fit the bits in the hex slot one way which actually works out fine as it makes the additional band not required. I would say keep it that way and just add a label on the tool, but then lefties would get the shaft on usability. The error tolerance between the ARMT and the bits apparently can vary, so after some jiggling and elbow grease I was able to get the bits in either direction. The band over the bit hole surprisingly works out fine where one side is pushed to a side, preferably towards the curve expansion so the band doesn't pop out of the retention notches, and the other covers the hole to keep the bit from falling through. Since the bit mounts perpendicularly you may not be able to get to all places you want to or have to perform short rotations. The bit hole is near the end of the tool, which helps, but is not the same as a long screwdriver type bit holder when it comes to getting to harder to reach screws.

For change considerations I would be interested in seeing if a third bit could be held in the tool interior without degrading much strength. For something more drastic, perhaps the slots could even be adjusted to hold some traditional L-shaped Allen keys. Storage is somewhat of a concern due to all the pokey ends, so if possible I recommend placing in a slim sleeve-type pocket making the best use of the flat side of the tool. Tossing it loose in a bigger than needed pocket may cause holes over time. The ARMT is also claimed to be a good last defense fighting tool, which I find a little funny as that occasion would likely only occur if no other weapons are around and the enemy sneaks up on you while you are cleaning your rifle, however I will say the grip gives a combat weapon type feel that I don't think any other AR tool does. Despite the bands used are quality o-rings I will keep an eye on their durability since I see signs of wear on the edges of the one stretched further than the others. The ARMT makes for an a solid new AR tool option since armorer tools will be much larger and single-tool while the more traditional shaped folding AR specific multi-tools will be less rugged. Other than the usage of the bits, there are no moving parts so the core of the ARMT is quite battlefield durable.
http://m34tactical.com/armt.html

Specs:
-Made from High Quality 4140-PH Steel
-Heat treated and coated with Mil-Spec Nitro-Tec.
-Total Certified core hardness is 58 HRC.
-Total case hardness will equal about 61-63 HRC.
-Approx 7-1/4" L x 2-1/4" W x 3/16" D
-5.5 oz with bits

The ARMT features:
-3 Allen keys, 7/64, 9/64, 1/8 (The Allen Keys also double for a Pin Punch)
-1 built in 10mm screwdriver
Comes with:
-2 place 1/4 hex bit carrier
-1 #2 Phillips hex bit, made from S2 tool steel
-1 SQ2 hex bit, made from S2 tool steel
-1 built in hex bit holder
-5 High quality Buna-n o-rings to hold bits in place
-The ARMT is Ambidextrous and fits most hands!

Quick List of Some of the things the ARMT can do...
3 common Allen keys to add, remove, or snug accessories
Allen keys double for a pin punch
10mm screwdriver for the buttstock screws, scraping, and prying
Remove or Tighten Notched Flash Hiders
Push out Takedown pins
Remove Firing Pin
Remove bolt cam
Remove bolt assembly from carrier
Tighten or loosen bolt carrier key
Tighten or loosen Castle Nut
Carbon scraper
Phillips P2 hex bit driver
SQ2 hex bit driver
Last resort self defense tool
At 7 1/4 in long and 2 1/4 in tall, still small enough to fit in your pocket to carry everyday for all sorts of other projects.

Latest posts

Top Bottom