M4 Break In Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a lightly used M4 tonight. The original owner said it has less than 100 rounds through it. Internally it looks nearly brand new, with barely any visible marking on the bolt face, much less anywhere else. I'm planning on breaking this shotgun in as if it were new by running some heaver loads through it. Do any of you shotgun aficionados have an opinion on 12 gauge ammo type & round count needed for a proper break in? I've read a few things online tonight, and many are talking about the M4's ability to even cycle the light recoil buckshot and target loads after a proper break in. I'd really like the opinion of our fellow OSA members who's experience in these matters far exceeds my own. Thanks.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3" mags will break it in quick along with your shoulder.

This is my personal opinion, but I never run light buck or light target loads through any of my shotguns unless maybe if it's a pump. Never felt the need. The lightest I usually run is a 3 dram 1 1/8 oz load of 7.5/8/9 shot. Never had a problem running it in my CZ1012 or SBE.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back before the craziness Wal Mart had Remington Slugger slugs for pretty cheap. They will clear your nostrils out of an M1, M2 or Vinci. They would do well for your stated purpose but it's not likely to be practical right now. A heavy game load from Estate or similar would probably be a lot more prudent right now.

But honestly if it's properly cleaned and lubed does it really need any breakin?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It may not, but I just wanted to make sure I got this puppy off to a good start. I ammo is becoming more readily available. I’ll see if I can pick up a case or two of heavy game load to have on hand.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and I have had several Benellis (still a couple or four between us). Lube the bolt and shoot the sh*t out of it. That’s what they’re made for.
A ”break in” period is for custom and semi custom 1911’s that are built to really tight tolerances or precision rifle barrels.

I'm talking specifically about my M4 here...I just shot a few big boy loads through mine then went on shooting what I want. It'll run anything and everything all day long. But like you said lube it!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm talking specifically about my M4 here...I just shot a few big boy loads through mine then went on shooting what I want. It'll run anything and everything all day long. But like you said lube it!
I would treat a M4 like any other Benelli. Mine have all been M1 Super 90’s, but my son had one M1 SBE. The SBE was a little more persnickety with light loads, but my Super 90’s will feed and shoot absolutely anything and have from day one.
You shouldn’t need a “break in”.
BTW I’m a little jealous, because I’ve been salivating over the M4’s. Since I already have a “tactical” Super 90, I really can’t justify one.:rolleyes2

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would treat a M4 like any other Benelli. Mine have all been M1 Super 90’s, but my son had one M1 SBE. The SBE was a little more persnickety with light loads, but my Super 90’s will feed and shoot absolutely anything and have from day one.
BTW I’m a little jealous, because I’ve been salivating over the M4’s. Since I already have a “tactical” Super 90, I really can’t justify one.:rolleyes2

Just sell it. Problem solved!

:thumbup3:

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please feel free to adopt my "I'll take two" philosophy when purchasing things :rollingla