M9 surplus future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember that the Army still hasn't released the 1911's that the CMP was "authorized" to sell. Adding M9's would take an additional congressional authorization as Perplexed mentioned. Also remember that when the Air Force transitioned away from .38 revolvers most were crushed. Meanwhile it would be nice if one of the "pen and phone" things overturned would be the ban on re-importing US weapons like additional M1 Garands and Carbines.
CMP was never "authorized" to sell or even receive the 1911s. Check their website and they told me in person when I was in Anniston for the M1 Garand build class last summer.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that the Army still hasn't released the 1911's that the CMP was "authorized" to sell. Adding M9's would take an additional congressional authorization as Perplexed mentioned. Also remember that when the Air Force transitioned away from .38 revolvers most were crushed. Meanwhile it would be nice if one of the "pen and phone" things overturned would be the ban on re-importing US weapons like additional M1 Garands and Carbines.

The M13 (.38) used by the USAF during the cold war was also deemed unsafe, thus why they were (Mostly) destroyed.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M13 (.38) used by the USAF during the cold war was also deemed unsafe, thus why they were (Mostly) destroyed.
Perhaps a slight clarification is in order here. You must be referring to the K-frames produced with aluminum cylinders. The Steel-framed M-13 was chambered in 357 Magnum, and was the issue gun of the FBI for a while. That M-13 was and is perfectly safe to shoot. The gun in my avatar is a M-65 which is the same gun in stainless steel.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How about this...since our Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms and these surplus weapons have been bought and paid for with our tax dollars, how about having a lottery for all citizens that can legally own firearms and want to enter, and give these to the people that paid for them.

I think I'll write Don John a letter! :D

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back on track. People will dump them and the price drops. 25 years later, you get your money back. I like them for a fun gun.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong but Trump will probably allow a lot of surplus rifles and such into the country form places like Korea re: Garans. Obama refused to allow the surplus guns into the country.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong but Trump will probably allow a lot of surplus rifles and such into the country form places like Korea re: Garans. Obama refused to allow the surplus guns into the country.

If he does, the Korean Garands definitely won't go through the CMP. Korea refuses to acknowledge that any of their Garands were part of a MAP loan, so they'd sell the rifles to importers. Then we'd get back Garands with ugly import stamps on them.

Unless they come back with rare parts, no thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom