Magnetospeed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the V3 and love it. It does have some minor limitations/issues but the advantages far make up for those.
If you try to clock non-jacketed, slow bullets you may run into issues. Plated bullets helps, jacketed is better. No problems. I was in the mid 600fps area and tech support confirmed the limitations. I've mainly used it un railed pistols, and various AR configurations. I've also strapped it to a revolver and a couple of suppressors. I do have to adjust the sensitivity to suit the configuration. For instance 300blk 200g sub have to be set more sensitive than 110g supers. The error are obvious though. Either no reading or it doubles the speed.

I wish they would make some changes in the way it interfaces with an iPhone.
You are basically limited to viewing the most current string. You have to disconnect from the sensor to do that. Still nice, but I have to connect, sync, and email after each string of fire to compare results in the field.

I need to try taking my laptop and pulling the memory card.

In the plus side. I can setup in 5 minutes on a hot range and not have to disturb anyone. Same with tear down.

I'd buy it again if doing it over!

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the V3 and love it. It does have some minor limitations/issues but the advantages far make up for those.
If you try to clock non-jacketed, slow bullets you may run into issues. Plated bullets helps, jacketed is better. No problems. I was in the mid 600fps area and tech support confirmed the limitations. I've mainly used it un railed pistols, and various AR configurations. I've also strapped it to a revolver and a couple of suppressors. I do have to adjust the sensitivity to suit the configuration. For instance 300blk 200g sub have to be set more sensitive than 110g supers. The error are obvious though. Either no reading or it doubles the speed.

I wish they would make some changes in the way it interfaces with an iPhone.
You are basically limited to viewing the most current string. You have to disconnect from the sensor to do that. Still nice, but I have to connect, sync, and email after each string of fire to compare results in the field.

I need to try taking my laptop and pulling the memory card.

In the plus side. I can setup in 5 minutes on a hot range and not have to disturb anyone. Same with tear down.

I'd buy it again if doing it over!

Great info. Thanks

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used one for almost 2 years now and love it. Rifle will still shoot accurately to 1000y on paper. Hell I watched a guy strap one on at a match and run his rifle out to about 990 yards on steel and scored just as many points as the rest of us. By far the most valuable tool in my safe. I only use this on centerfire rifles, but have heard about the issues mentioned above. No experience with pistols or unjacketed bullets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a review on the Magneto that said it was probably the best for shotgun rounds vs the stand alone on a tripod that is 12' out there.
The problem with conventional chrony's is they are measuring the speed of the wad, and not necessarily the shot string as the wad is separating and slowing down considerably. The Magneto gets it right out of the barrel as its still a package.

OutdoorShooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the latest version and it works very well, but we have since purchased the new Doppler Radar that you set up next to your muzzle. You don't have to shoot over it like the MagnetoSpeed and you don't shoot thru it like the traditional crony. It will pickup and track a bullet out to 100 yrds and give you more data than you can imagine. It will also track shotgun, archery, pellet rifles too.. Here are some pics from our testing of the 277 Wolverine

Attachments

• 277_Wolverine_Test_Data_4_23_16.png
    277_Wolverine_Test_Data_4_23_16.png
    462.5 KB · Views: 285
  • LabRadar Test.jpeg
    LabRadar Test.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 251

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the latest version and it works very well, but we have since purchased the new Doppler Radar that you set up next to your muzzle. You don't have to shoot over it like the MagnetoSpeed and you don't shoot thru it like the traditional crony. It will pickup and track a bullet out to 100 yrds and give you more data than you can imagine. It will also track shotgun, archery, pellet rifles too.. Here are some pics from our testing of the 277 Wolverine
I'm betting most of us shooters couldn't afford that setup, but I do think its truly impressive getting the data it does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom